IRS harassment of Catholics nothing new, even Catholic Online targeted
One Catholic blogger detailed her intimidating expreince despite doing nothing wrong.
The Obama administration's IRS thuggery hasn't just been limited to tea party and conservative groups. Prominent Catholics, including Catholic Online, have been targeted for IRS harassment over the past several years.
Dr. Hendershott told The Blaze she believes she may have been targeted because of her Catholic beliefs.
Dr. Hendershott is a well-respected professor and sociologist who writes and comments on Catholic issues. In 2010, and thereafter, she came out in opposition to Obamacare. She criticized liberal Catholic groups and President Obama, an act which she believes provoked an IRS audit.
During her audit, the IRS demanded to know who was financing her work, and "what their politics were."
Dr. Hendershott was floored. She explained that she was just a writer, a blogger really. She did not make any money from her work, in fact she estimates that she has lost money if anything.
Despite this, the IRS insisted she was running a business and treated her as such. Dr. Hendershott does not have a business, and files jointly with her husband who actually brings in the majority of their household income.
The IRS was not interested in her husband. Instead, they insisted she meet with them in private and provide in exacting detail an account of where every dollar that went into her bank account came from.
Dr. Hendershott believes the audit was sparked following a contentious radio interview in which she criticized Obama's policies and George Soros' funding of liberal Catholic organizations.
If her suspicions are correct, they suggest that the IRS has been promoting a leftist political agenda at least since 2010, and has been using its power to audit as an illegal form of coercion to chill freedom of expression.
Catholic Online has first-hand experience of IRS harassment. Even before 2010, Catholic Online became the target of an IRS investigation. Numerous allegations were made against the organization by individuals in positions of power and authority who have personal problems with Catholics.
The investigation was similarly intrusive and likely designed to intimidate Catholic Online.
Catholic Online was soon cleared of any wrongdoing. The organization always has and continues to operate with a high standard of moral integrity in all its dealings. However because Catholic Online takes positions that may not be politically popular, particularly with the empowered left, the organization is a target.
What must be understood, is that Catholics across the United States are under siege. Leftist movements, secularists, relativists, atheists, are all working to silence conservative voices from Catholic Online to Dr. Hendershott. This is because Catholics are standing up to fight for religious freedom and to defend the moral foundation of our country.
Christ explained that his faithful would face trials in persecutions simply for following Him, so there are no surprises here. If anything, we are witnessing a national tragedy as the forces of evil gain ever more power to drown out the voices of good.
Fortunately, as Catholics, we already know how such efforts will end.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?