Capitol Hill testimony on Benghazi attacks suggests Obama lied to the American people
Darrell Issa calls for accountability to the American people.
Bombshell revelations coming out of hearings on the Benghazi terrorist attacks are challenging the original narrative and suggesting Obama lied to the American people about the attacks. Darrell Issa is calling for accountability to the American people.
Greg Hicks, deputy chief of the mission in Lybia who took over the top American position in the country after the death of Ambassador Chris Stevens, delivered stinging testimony on Capitol Hill today.
Hicks told the representatives that he and others received calls suggesting the whereabouts of Stevens and asking them to come retrieve him. However, understanding that the attack was a terrorist event, and not a spontaneous protest as the administration originally contended, Hicks was suspicious of the calls.
He later received a call from the Lybian Prime Minister, confirming that Stevens was dead. It also confirmed that the calls were an attempt to lure more Americans into an ambush, with Stevens as the bait.
Hicks said his team knew it was a terrorist attack even before Stevens went missing, and that Stevens told him as much by phone before he disappeared.
The Obama administration originally claimed the attacks were a response to an anti-Muslim film that criticized the Islamic Prophet Mohammed. Obama refused to refer to the attacks as terrorist attacks and did not respond to them as such until it became painfully obvious that they were engineered by al Qaeda officers.
The terrorists struck the compound with heavy weapons, including mortars, and bombs. The attacks were clearly organized. Despite this knowledge, a rapid-response team was ordered to stand down in the face of the crisis. The embassy staff were on their own.
Despite the sophisticated nature of the attacks, administration officials publicly denied the attack was a terrorist plot until images and testimony came to public attention via the media. Images showed militants armed with heavy weapons, not the kind of items one normally brings to a protest over a film. Another image showed a known al Qaeda officer who had been released from a Libyan prison following the overthrow of Kaddafi.
Understandably upset about the administration's deception Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), chairman of the hearings asked, "The question is, where's the accountability for lying to the American people? The American people were lied to."
Despite the firsthand quality of the testimony, the Obama administration is sticking to its earlier denials that they knew about the nature of the attack. The administration has even issued a "fact sheet" repeating its denials that they knew the attack was a terrorist event and that the military was prepared to rescue embassy staff but ordered to stand down.
Nonetheless, if the truth is confirmed and Obama failed, then lied to cover his administration, just weeks before a national election, there could be a lot more explaining he will have to do in the months ahead.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?