GOP proposal: Obama, Biden will be beholden to their health care reform law
Amendments require president, vice president, Cabinet to put their premiums where their politics are
Health care reform, also known as "Obamacare" has a lot of implications to the average American. There is a feeling that not everything under the law has been sorted out, and that5 many Americans will pay even more under the health care reform act. In response, republican Senators have introduced amendments that President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and the Cabinet be beholden to the new rules: putting their premiums where their politics are.
After the Affordable Care Act passed, the White House said Obama would enroll in an exchange once the time came in 2014.
Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) have both offered amendments to move Obama and Biden into the healthcare law's exchanges.
After the Affordable Care Act passed, the White House said Obama would enroll in an exchange once the time came in 2014. Collins and Ayotte's amendments require the president, vice president and Cabinet to be beholden to the same plan as the American people.
Lawmakers and most of their staff members already have to purchase coverage through an exchange, thanks to a provision Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) added to the healthcare law.
However, the White House and its staff aren't covered by that provision. Some congressional leadership staffers also aren't affected, and can remain in the healthcare exchange for federal employees.
All the budget amendments remain messaging documents - as is the budget itself. There are also many proposals to repeal all, or part of the Affordable Care Act.
Dozens of amendments have already been filed, including proposals to repeal the healthcare law and some key provisions, including the individual mandate and some of its taxes.
An amendment from Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) would prohibit the use of federal money to advertise the law's new benefits. This would cut off a publicity campaign that will be essential to making sure people actually enroll in the new benefits available to them.
Other GOP amendments would delay the law's implementation and change its definition of a "part-time" employee.
There's one bipartisan proposal in the mix - amendments to repeal the healthcare law's medical device tax. Essentially, none of these proposals would take effect even if the House and Senate were to agree on the underlying budget.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obamacare, health care reform, president, vice president, Cabinet
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?