Paul Ryan submits the budget that Americans want to see
Ryan budget would balance within 10 years and restore prosperity.
Paul Ryan (R-WI) has proposed a budget that would balance the U.S. budget within the next decade, and set the stage for a budget showdown between Republicans and Democrats. The budget intends to balance by 2023 and should help grow the economy.
Paul Ryan has a plan to balance the budget within 10 years, but Democrats are unlikely to accept it.
Among the assumptions, it assumes that Obamacare will be repealed and that no new taxes will be raised. Both are no-go issues for Democrats.
Still, the budget appears otherwise sensible and many may like its ideas, such as reducing the number of tax brackets to just two, 10 and 25 percent.
Budgets are typically political theater, however the principles are sound and may make their way into a compromise budget. Among the planks of his plan are:
- Achieve a total of $4.6 trillion in savings over the next decade
- Enact tax reform that closes loopholes and deductions, while reducing the number of income brackets to two - one at 10 percent, the other at 25 percent
- Change Medicare to a model in which future retirees would receive "premium supports" (Democrats call them vouchers) to subsidize the purchase of insurance from a menu of options, including traditional Medicare
- Repeal the president's health care reform law
- Approve the proposed Keystone XL transnational oil pipeline
- Enact welfare reforms to give states more flexibility in enforcing the program
The Ryan budget proposal is a first draft in what will likely be a long and wearisome process, however it provides a starting point for discussion that is consistent with what most Americans would like to see. Most importantly, he has provided a realistic path to a balanced budget.
A balanced budget, or even just a meaningful plan, would go a long way to improving the nation's financial future and would have immediate positive effect on the economy.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?