Obama orders release of 'upstanding' criminals ahead of sequestration
Obama move could save hundreds of dollars pey day.
President Obama has ordered the release of illegal immigrants held in deportation proceedings by immigration officials (ICE). The Obama administration say the move is to save money ahead of sequestration, an automatic blend of spending cuts to begin on Friday. Opponents say he is releasing criminal offenders onto the streets in an effort to intimidate lawmakers.
It is these offenders, awaiting deportation, that the Obama administration is releasing. The releases will save money normally spent to house and feed the inmates. However, once back on the street, these offenders may commit new offenses or disappear altogether.
The Obama administration says that deportation proceedings are continuing against these offenders and that they are being moved to different forms of monitoring such as call-ins, in-person visits, and curfews.
They also claim those being released are "low priority individuals, people who pose no risk or danger to society, but rather are upstanding members of their communities."
This raises the question of why they were incarcerated to begin with, and if their illegal status has any bearing on their classification as "upstanding."
Opponents of the release are decrying Obama for releasing hundrteds of people onto the streets in states such as Arizona. The charge is that it serves as a form of political speech and intimidation which is designed to compel Republicans to bow to pressure from the Obama administration to stop the sequestration.
The sequestration is the term used to identify the $85 billion in spending cuts which begin on Friday.
Detaining an illegal immigrant costs between $122 and $164 per day according to immigration officials. It is unclear how much of a dent in the expected $85 billion these releases will make, but the savings should be in the hundreds of dollars, assuming no further crimes are committed.
John Boehner (R-OH) told reporters, "It's hard for me to believe they can't find cuts anywhere else in their agency. I frankly think this is outrageous.letting criminals go free."
But haven't you heard Mr. Speaker? These criminals are "upstanding!"
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?