Obama prepared to go after guns, Biden on mission to rally support
NRA warns Biden of political consequences.
President Obama is bent on "gun control" and he is willing to take weapons away from American citizens, by executive action if need be. That's was understanding as he sent Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday with a mission to "take thousands of people out of harm's way."
As mourning for the child victims of Sandy Hook ends for the nation, the political harvest begins. As so often happens in the wake of great tragedy, politicians take advantage of national emotion and hysteria to slam through new laws and rules that help inch us towards a brave new world. This time, the brave new world is one consistent with Obama's vision and it does not necessarily include you owning a firearm.
So, in a supposedly free nation where pizza arrives at your home faster than the police, President Obama has convened a "task force" with the aim of closing "loopholes" in national gun laws. Those closures mean outlawing assault rifles, limiting magazine capacity, and ensuring background checks for all gun owners.
In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo may pass a law to repeat background checks for current gun owners to make sure they are still permitted to possess a firearm. It is likely that if someone now fails the check, they will be required to turn it over to police, although it is unknown how this would happen. Success in New York could mean adoption across the nation.
Biden had this to say about his mission, invoking the Sandy Hook massacre to get others on board his agenda, "Every once in a while, there's something that awakens the conscience of the country, and that tragic event did it in a way like nothing I've seen in my career."
"The president and I are determined to take action. We can affect the well being of millions of Americans and take thousands of people out of harm's way if we act responsibly."
Despite Obama's insistence, he does acknowledge that he needs public support to enact any successful measures. Although he is fond of executive orders, his options are limited, checked by the need to defer to Congress on new laws.
The public, although understandably shocked by the violence at Sandy Hook, is understandably wary of sudden new measures enacted in the wake of the Sandy Hook tragedy.
Today, Biden meets with representatives from the NRA, who are expected to temper some of his and Obama's enthusiasm for "gun control." The NRA is a powerful lobby, which has thousands of members and millions more sympathizers.
It is hoped that Obama realizes that he should not move so fast, and not in the direction he has previously suggested, although the chances of that are slim.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?