Did Hillary Clinton 'play sick' to avoid Benghazi questioning?
United Nations envoy John Bolton maintains that secretary of state faked concussion
Did U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton fake "playing sick" in order to avoid probing questions on the Benghazi tragedy? That's what former United Nations envoy John Bolton says. He maintains that Clinton falsely claimed a concussion in order to avoid an embarrassing appearance before Congress to explain the terrorist attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya.
Considered a top Democratic presidential contender in 2016, Clinton declined to appear on Sunday talk shows five days after the attack, which killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other Americans.
"This is a diplomatic illness to beat the band," Bolton said. "I mean, I hope it's nothing serious. But this was revealed in a way that I think was not transparent and I think there is an obligation here."
State Department Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland insisted to reporters Tuesday that suggestions Clinton faked her illness are "completely untrue," saying that Bolton and others who have questioned the concussion "are people who don't know what they're talking about.
"It's unfortunate that in times like this people make wild speculation based on no information," she said.
There is widespread speculation that Clinton is trying to finish her term as chief diplomat without suffering any criticism for the attack. Clinton has said she does not intend to serve in President Obama's second term.
Considered a top Democratic presidential contender in 2016, Clinton declined to appear on Sunday talk shows five days after the attack, which killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other Americans. The duty was then sent to U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice.
Republicans have attacked Rice's comments on those shows, saying that she was trying to avoid political fallout by saying that the attack was a "spontaneous" crowd reaction rather than a calculated terrorist attack.
Clinton's announcement that she would not testify has been received skeptically by conservative bloggers and commentators. Fox News described the injury as a "purported concussion."
Clinton said Monday in a letter to the committee that she would respond to the committee's questions in January.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Hilary rodham Clinton, John Bolton, concussion, accusation, Benghazi
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?