Allison Schwartz makes a stunning admission.
Say what? Rep. Allyson Schwartz (D-PA) said that "respect for life means different things to different people." Although the statement is functionally true, it is not fundamentally true, and hints at the underlying cause of tragedies that occur every day in our country and steal away the lives of our children.
Allyson Schwartz says 'respect for life' means different things, and somehow that's okay.
The caller said, "Roe v. Wade took away the right to life. We encourage the culture of death by giving money to Planned Parenthood - they kill more people. Now it's terrible what happened in Connecticut but unborn persons killed with the support of taxpayer money - these are persons too."
Schwartz replied, "Well, I don't see the connection here. Of course we have seen gun violence against those who actually do provide reproductive health services and abortion services and that's been pretty tragic."
She continued, "I do think the respect for life is something that we were built on certainly in our country and that means - obviously different things to different people. So I would just respectably disagree with you on the connection here between gun violence and the opportunity for women and their families to make reproductive decisions independent of government intervention."
The doublespeak is astounding, but demonstrates the fundamental flaw in the Representative's thinking. There is a pervasive, insidious notion, that life does not begin until birth. There is a notion that life is disposable, cheap and something to "make decisions" about.
The sad facts is, "respect for life" means something different to Schwartz than it does for many practicing Christians.
Yet, who should define what respect for life is? Shall this core understanding be individually determined in a postmodern fashion? Unfortunately, allowing each person to decide for themselves is the path to tragedy, since some people may "choose" not to respect certain lives, including the lives of children, the sick, the disabled, the elderly, and so on.
Self-interpretation of the concept "respect for life" isn't a virtuous aim of freedom, instead it is a recipe for tragedy. Such a loose attitude towards the concept allows for any form of horror to be justifiably practiced by one person against another. In this regard, self-interpretation is the path to evil.
This is why we have guidance from God, his scriptures, and the magisterial teachings of the church. Although, God reserves to Himself the right to define some concepts on Earth, such rule is not tyranny as some would suppose. Instead, it is freedom in the greatest sense. By imposing a functional understanding of fundamental truths, such as what life is, when it begins, and what respect for it means, we can build a society that is free from the tyranny of the individual as well as the regime.
What a tragedy that a full half, or more, of our civic leaders and lawmakers do not have this very basic understanding and appreciation for life that would solve so many of our problems. These same lawmakers consistently refuse to take steps to protect unborn children simply because they reside in the womb rather than the crib.
In America, Planned Parenthood performs an average of 800 plus abortions per day, based on their own statistics. That's the same as 30 or more Sandy Hook Elementary massacres every day, or just over one such mass murder per hour. And those are just the abortions performed by Planned Parenthood.
Do you see the connection now, Representative Schwartz?
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Allison Schwartz, respect for life, comment
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?