Rice cries uncle, Kerry considered
Amid controversy, Susan Rice has withdrawn her nomination.
Despite unabashed support from Obama, Susan Rice withdrew her name from consideration as the next Secretary of State. Rice, has been hounded by Republicans that were troubled by her response to the terrorist attacks in Benghazi in September.
Susan Rice has withdrawn her name from consideration for Secretary of State.
Originally, the administration said those attacks were a spontaneous demonstration turned violent, despite obvious evidence and early assessments that they were coordinated terrorist attacks. Those attacks resulted in the deaths of four Americans including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya.
Rice took responsibility for the administration's failure in the face of those attacks, although Obama also made comment during his second debate with Mitt Romney that he was responsible for what happened.
With Republicans looking to block her possible nomination, Obama found himself spending increasing amounts of political capital to keep her viable as a potential nominee.
Rice alter tweeted on her decision, "Those of you who know me know that I'm a fighter, but not at the cost of what's right for our country."
Insiders say that support for her nomination has started to wane in recent days as fiscal cliff negotiations take precedent. Amid this shift in favor, Rice opted to withdraw her name from consideration to spare everyone further turmoil.
Obama said he regretted her withdraw, but was understanding in the face of the circumstances.
Now, attention is turning to John Kerry, the former presidential candidate. Kerry is seen as a safe nomination for the post.
Rice will retain her position as Ambassador to the UN. Obama has already said that he would keep her close in his administration regardless of her decision.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Susan Rice, McCain, senators, Benghazi, Secretary of State, promotion, Obama, al-Qaeda, nomination, withdrawl
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?