Wealthy in California may pay nation's highest taxes
Bush-era rates set to expire with coming New Year
High-income Californians would pay the nation's highest marginal income tax rates with the passage of Proposition 30 last month. If President Barack Obama and Congress fail to make a deal to avoid the so-called "fiscal cliff," the Bush era tax cuts on high-income taxpayers would expire with the arrival of 2013. Rates will revert to their previous levels.
High-income Californians would pay the nation's highest marginal income tax rates with the passage of Proposition 30 last month.
The scholars noted that Proposition 30 added three percentage points to the marginal state income tax rate for California's highest-income taxpayers, which brought it to 13.3 percent, raising California over other high-tax jurisdictions to a marginal rate of 51.9 percent, slightly higher than New York City's level.
Hawaii was the only other place with a calculated rate above 50 percent.
Lawmakers are currently engaged in a battle over how to solve the "fiscal cliff" issue by the end of 2012. If nothing is done, a series of tax cuts expire for all Americans and taxes will go up. Republicans favor a continuation of the tax cuts for everyone, including the wealthy. President Obama and Democrats have thrown their support behind continuing the tax cuts for individuals who make $200,000 or less and couples who make $250,000 or less, but they oppose continuing the cuts for wealthier Americans.
Republicans also want to cut more spending than Obama. The poll indicates that Americans are reluctant to cut Social Security, Medicare and defense spending, which may lend some weight to Democrats' arguments against major cuts. However, a recent poll also found that more Americans favor cutting government services to reduce deficits than raising taxes, a Republican-held view that the GOP may be able to use in their favor as both parties try to reach an agreement on how to avoid "going over the cliff."
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?