Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel likens Obama to Lincoln
Emanuel highlights president's handling of 2009 auto industry crisis
Former chief of staff to President Barack Obama, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, recently likened Obama's values and "ability to see a clear road where everybody just sees fog" to President Abraham Lincoln. The nation's 16th President is the subject of the still-in-theaters 2012 Steven Spielberg movie "Lincoln."
Former chief of staff to President Barack Obama, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, recently likened Obama's values and 'ability to see a clear road where everybody just sees fog' to President Abraham Lincoln.
"And I think that's essential because, in the Oval Office, at the end of the day, all you have are your values, your judgment, and your ability to see a clear road where everybody just sees fog."
"If you haven't seen the movie 'Lincoln,' and if I didn't try to illuminate it, please go see the movie 'Lincoln' because that's another way where all these cross currents come at you and you have to make sense of that conflict, and that conflicting currents and equities," Emanuel said.
Emanuel's remarks were in direct reference to Obama's decision to provide a financial bailout to General Motors in 2009, and how his experience as a community organizer helped him to make that decision.
At the "One Book One Northwestern" program, Emanuel held a discussion at Northwestern University entitled "Chicago Politics and the 2012 Election," in which he talked about politics and the book "Never a City So Real" by Alex Kotlowitz.
Emanuel was sworn in as the 55th Mayor of Chicago on May 16, 2011 at the Pritzker Pavilion. At his inauguration were outgoing Mayor Richard M. Daley, Vice President Joe Biden, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, and William M. Daley, who succeeded Emanuel as White House Chief of Staff and is the brother of the former Mayor Richard Daley. He is Chicago's first Jewish mayor.
A federal lawsuit was filed by eleven Chicago police officers in August of 2012, alleging they were removed from the mayoral security detail and replaced with officers who worked on Emanuel's mayoral campaign, in violation of the 1983 Shakman Decree, which bars city officials from making political considerations in the hiring process.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Emanuel Rahm, Chicago, President Obama, Abraham Lincoln
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- FBI admits to using drones on U.S. soil. What's next armed drones?
- The New Golden Calf and the Women of a New Babylon. America and Kardashian - Where's the outrage?
- Supreme Court: No, you can't ask for proof of citizenship for voter registration
- What happens when the Culture of Surveillance meets the Culture of Corruption?
- Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
- Bombshell: Low-level NSA agents can wiretap anyone, even the president, sans warrant
- PRISM precursor programs sparked concerns, potential resignations under Bush
- Facebook, Microsoft reveal number of government requests for your info, but no details
- Whistle-blower Snowden says Obama can still save face after PRISM debacle
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?