And so it begins, Obama imposes first new taxes
First tax to help pay for Obamacare starts.
The soaking of the rich has begun with the IRS releasing new rules for income taxes affecting the highest earners. Those taxes apply to capital gains and dividends earned by individuals making more than $200,000 per year and married couples earning above $250,000.
In a broad, 159-page edict, the rules explain when and how the taxes apply. Other rules released on Friday include a 0.9 percent healthcare tax on the wages of high-income individuals.
The rules take effect on January 1, although the IRS is holding a period of public comment in April. The new taxes will be due in 2014.
According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, and analysis predicts the taxes will raise an estimated $317.7 billion over the next 10 years.
The IRS illustrates in their release just how the tax would apply for an individual. The first $200,000 in income would not be affected by the new taxes, however the money earned above that would be. Specifically, the example depicted an individual with $180,000 in income with an additional $90,000 in investment income. Of that the $70,000 of the investment income would be subject to the new taxes.
The additional taxes consumed by the government will be allocated to government programs including Obamacare. In this way, everyone who pays taxes buys into Obamacare, like it or not, no matter if they have insurance or not.
Unfortunately, the rules are not entirely clear and have left some questions for later. For example, how will rental income be treated?
In any case, the wealthy will pay more, no matter what.
The worse news? This is just the start. A bevy of additional taxes will also hit the wealthy on January 1, as the Bush tax cuts expire - a move that is widely expected to happen.
It's time to start paying.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?