SHOCKING - How much EBT abuse actually costs you
Costs may be hundreds of dollars per year per taxpayer.
A record 1 in 7 Americans are receiving food stamps, which is the equivalent population of 24 states combined, totaling 47.1 million individuals. Yes, the total population of 24 states COMBINED. An investigative report has also found that the program is beset by fraud and possibly corruption.
Food stamps, transferred by EBT are intended to feed people especially children, but are widely accepted as payment for many other things.
The report adds, "According to US. Census Bureau data, that figure exceeds the combined populations of: Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming."
The amount of money poured into the program has nearly doubled in the past four years.
The report has also uncovered evidence of abuse. Some food stamp recipients are receiving the benefits without being truly qualified for them. The method is simple, one only needs to lie on their application. With so many claiming need and resources stretched thin, it is difficult for program administrators to catch abusers.
When abusers are caught, they are only required to repay a measure of their benefits, which they may do in installments. There are no criminal sanctions unless they refuse to pay. Even then, those sanctions are financial and do not involve jail.
Further abuse occurs as people exchange their food stamps for cash and make unauthorized purchases with them. That cash is then used to purchase items not permitted under the program. Illegal transactions on Craigslist, and other online websites allow people to exchange Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) credit for items and services.
The purpose of the program is to feed people who might otherwise go without, especially children.
Adding to the complication is JP Morgan, who is left in charge of administering the program and seeking out fraud. JPMorgan has a financial interest in the number of accounts it holds, more accounts mean more money.
Left to oversee those accounts is a fraud division staffed with one JP Morgan employee and five to ten state employees according to another Beritbart News investigation. This example was drawn from the state of Florida. Other states suffer similar understaffing.
JP Morgan is also a major Obama donor. With an overall price tag of $72 billion per year, each American must pay two hundred forty dollars for the program. Considering that only half of all Americans pay taxes, the actual cost to taxpayers is closer to $500 per year. How much of that sum is abused remains unknown.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?