Gay Senator - What will inform her, sexuality or morality?
Senator may be informed by her sexuality, which would prove a disaster.
Wisconsin is sending the first openly lesbian senator to Washington to fill one of that state's senate seats. Despite insistence that her campaign was about the issues, her sexuality was also a topic of discussion for many. She will now impact legislation on important issues.
Tammy Baldwin will be the first openly gay senator in U.S. history.
In addition to her likely stance on critical, non-negotiable moral issues, she also helps insulate the Democratic majority in the U.S. Senate. Republicans lost their bid to retake the Senate after several candidates fell from grace with voters following unfortunate gaffes and misunderstandings.
Baldwin insists she is not out to promote a radical agenda, but instead said, "I didn't run to make history. I ran to make a difference, a difference in the lives of families struggling to find work and pay bills."
Taken at face value, the intention is quite admirable, and what one would expect from a Senator.
However, gay advocates are already galvanized by her victory. Herndon Graddick, president of one of the nation's homosexual lobbying organizations said, "Tammy Baldwin's victory showed what a majority of Americans already know: that candidates should be judged on their qualifications for the job and not their sexual orientation."
For the most part, one must agree that the chief qualification of a candidate should be competency. Yet, political leaders will be trusted with responsibility on a wide range of issues. It is fantastic that public confidence in Baldwin's ability to help working-class Americans is high. But how will she treat the marriages of those same people? Will they be afforded the respect they deserve by being recognized as the only legitimate and sacred form of marriage that can actually exist? Will Baldwin come out in favor of the fundamental right to life of the individual?
And how much does her sexuality inform her decision making on these issues?
Unfortunately, Tammy Baldwin has a record which indicates she is opposed to the protection of life.
If Senator-elect Baldwin can govern with respect for the non-negotiable issues of morality then her sexual orientation should remain a matter best left to her and God. However, if she permits her sexual choice to inform her decisions on critical issues such as these, then it will be impossible to support her efforts.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Tammy Baldwin, senator, elected, lesbian, homosexual
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Read this most OUTRAGEOUS list of questions asked by IRS officials
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?