Hudson & Fournier: Catholic Countdown to Election 2012, Day 3. Latino Voters Reminded to Protect Religious Liberty
Please forward this video to your email lists, and post it on your blogs
Please forward this video to your email lists, and post it on your blogs. It's imperative that all Americans hear this message, especially Latinos who in the near future will move to the center of our nation's economic and cultural life. Verastegui's video, produced and released by Let Freedom Ring, is a reminder to Latinos that looming social issues - and religious freedom - are at stake in the election, now only a few days away.
WASHINGTON, DC (Catholic Online) - Of the many videos that have been released this political season, few are more important than the one released today featuring the Hispanic actor Eduardo Verastegui.
A major TV celebrity in his home country of Mexico, Verastegui became well-known in the United States with the promotion and release of his feature film "Bella" in 2006.
Since then, in addition to ongoing film roles, Verastegui has become a major spokesperson for life and marriage issues among Latinos, Catholic, Orthodox and Evangelical Protestant.
Few celebrities we have met have the personal charisma and obvious sincerity of Eduardo Verastegui. If only more Latino celebrities and politicians stood with him on the issues so important to the future of our nation.
Latino voters are often called naturally pro-family and socially conservative, but the majority of Latino members of Congress don't reflect those attitudes.
One of the crucial variables of the upcoming election Is the Hispanic vote, approximately 8 percent of the national vote but growing quickly.
In 2004, George W. Bush garnered 44 percent of the Hispanic vote, a historic high for a GOP candidate. Republicans did not merely look the "gift horse in the mouth," they blew the horse sky high with their vituperative immigration protests of 2005.
As a result, in 2008 John McCain received only a little more than half the Latino support given to Bush four years earlier. In 2010, so besmirched five years earlier, the GOP failed to improve its standing with Latino voters.
The question in 2012 is whether or not Latinos will notice that Obama did nothing to address the immigration issues they care so much about, The Dream Act, verbally championed by Obama and the Democrats, stayed on the shelf.
For Latinos, however, it's the ugly memories of 2005 that will be more present to their minds than Obama's failure to act on immigration reform.
Verastegui's video, produced and released by Let Freedom Ring, is a reminder to Latinos that looming social issues - and religious freedom - are at stake in the election, now only a few days away.
Please forward this video to your email lists, and post it on your blogs. It's imperative that all Americans hear this message, especially Latinos who in the near future will move to the center of our nation's economic and cultural life.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Keywords: Eduardo Verastegui, Pro-Life, Pro-Marriage, Latino Voters, Hispanic Voters, Value Voters, catholic Voters, Evangelical Voters, Faith, Religious Liberty, Religious Freedom, Romney, Ryan, Obama, Biden, campaign 2012, Deal W Hudson, Keith A Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?