Obama abandoning hope
Obama message changes as fortune turns against him.
The President of Hope has become the President of Fear after becoming fearful himself. Obama nearly had the election won, when a lackluster debate performance opened the world's eyes. Since then, Romney has been surging in the polls and Obama's strategy has changed to one of fear mongering to keep his seat in the White House.
His entrance was upbeat and fun, as he ad-libbed with a member of the audience, but as soon as the teleprompters started rolling, Obama began to drone about how awful Romney is.
Obama went on about "Romnesia" a term his campaign coined because Romney was briefly mixed up about a detail during one of the debates. Obama and his campaign have stretched this just short of calling Mitt Romney a liar.
Of course, every rational person knows that politicians change positions, skew the facts, and sometimes do lie. However, functionally calling a candidate a liar who will say and do anything to get into office is the role reserved for Super PAC attack ads, and generally below the candidate himself.
It got worse. Obama told the crowd Romney would set the country back 50 years, to the early 1960s. This might not have been a particularly apt comparison, because the early 60s were a time of hope in America as progress was made in equality and civil rights. John F. Kennedy was president and many Americans were thrilled with him.
Of course, Obama was trying to say that people would lose their rights, without actually clarifying what rights would be lost. Would women see their salaries slashed under Romney? Would segregation come roaring back in the deep South? Would women actually be deterred from using abortion as birth control? Obama didn't dare specify, because the accusation is a lie in itself.
The fact that Obama would stoop so low suggests his campaign is running scared, and for good reason.
Polls now show that Romney, not Obama is favored to win the election. Romney has a narrow lead over Obama in the popular vote and has made gains among nearly every demographic since the start of October. In the vital swing states, Obama holds an eroding lead as Romney's momentum builds.
The Romney campaign has new donations, tens of millions, which will ensure he finishes strong. Obama on the other hand, is facing erosion of support.
In two weeks, this campaign will be history and Americans will say good riddance to the hoopla and drama. It is likely there will be a new President too. If that is the case, Obama cannot blame Romney so much as himself. Obama has had four years to change lives for the better, to build on his message of hope.
Americans are still hoping, but they seem to realize now, that hope will never be satisfied by Obama.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?