Leaked emails show Obama administration knew truth about Libya attacks
President stays mum on his Benghazi failure.
Obama is pleading the fifth when asked about when he learned of three emails sent by the State Department to him on September 11, 2012, informing him that the US Consulate in Benghazi was under attack and that a terrorist group was claiming responsibility for the attack.
terrorists photographed celebrating the success of their attack on the US Consulate in benghazi on September 11, 2012.
"We decline to comment," said White House National Security staff aide Debbie Bird.
The emails are important because they suggest the White House knew of the true nature of the attacks from the start, yet inexplicably spent the next three weeks telling the public they were spontaneous protests that turned violent.
The White House has suggested they were overwhelmed with information following the attacks. Jay Carney told reporters this morning, ""There were emails about all sorts of information that was becoming available in the aftermath of the attack. The email you're referring to was an open-source, unclassified email referring to an assertion made on a social media site that everyone in this room had access to and knew about instantaneously. There was a variety of information coming in."
"The whole point of an intelligence community and what they do is to assess strands of information and make judgments about what happened and who was responsible," Carney added. "I would refer you to what we've already said about, and what the DNI has already said about, the initial assessments of the intelligence community, and the fact that throughout this process, I and others made very clear that our preliminary assessments were preliminary, that an investigation was underway, and that as more facts became available, we would make the American people aware of them."
Carney insisted, "This was an open-source, unclassified email about a posting on a Facebook site. I would also note I think that within a few hours, that organization itself claimed that it had not been responsible. Neither should be taken as fact. That's why there's an investigation underway."
The emails were sent by the State Department to several government officials including members of the President's staff, so there's no reason why he should have been unaware of them.
Ultimately, if the President and his staff cannot assess a dynamic situation and respond appropriately, even after two to three weeks following, then questions must be raised about the competency and functionality of the current administration.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?