Obama's performance in third debate described as 'rude and unpresidential'
U.S. historian Tim Stanley says president looked 'like a lawyer' in the third debate
According to U.S. historian Tim Stanley, Mitt Romney won the third presidential debate. Stanley says that while Romney looked like a proper head of state, Obama's antics made him "look like a lawyer," at the third and final debate in Boca Raton, Florida, last night.
Historian Tim Stanley points out that both Romney and Obama basically agreed on all the essentials. 'Romney refused to tackle Obama directly on Libya (I shouted at the TV that he should, but he just wouldn't listen) and Fast and Furious seems to have been forgotten by the GOP.'
"You mentioned the navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1916. Well, governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets because the nature of our military's changed." Audience response was favorable, as everyone laughed.
However - as Stanley points out, the Internet lit up with examples on how the U.S. military still uses horses and bayonets. As a most recent example, horses were used during the invasion of Afghanistan.
Stanley is especially scathing in describing Obama's overall debate performance. "This was one example of many in which the President insulted, patronized and mocked his opponent rather than put across a constructive argument. His performance was rude and unpresidential.
"Obama seemed to have a touch of the Bidens, wriggling about in his chair, waving his hands dismissively and always - always - smirking in Romney's direction. By contrast, Romney sucked up the abuse and retained a rigid poker face all night. He looked like a Commander in Chief; Obama looked like a lawyer. Who would you rather vote for?"
Stanley later describes the debate as uneventful, "essentially a debate without incident. Part of the fault was the format. It's interesting to note that Romney won the first debate while standing up and Obama did better in the second when walking around. But when both men were forced to sit for 90 minutes, the energy was inevitably reduced and neither broke through the fourth wall convincingly.
"Romney had a slight edge because he didn't use his hands so much: Obama blew his closing statements by developing ultra-energetic conjurer's hands ."
Stanley points out that both Romney and Obama basically agreed on all the essentials. "Romney refused to tackle Obama directly on Libya (I shouted at the TV that he should, but he just wouldn't listen) and Fast and Furious seems to have been forgotten by the GOP.
"In everything else, Obama has become so homicidally neoconservative and Romney so desperately peaceful that they've met in the middle on most issues. Both would defend Israel in the event of an attack, both want out of Afghanistan in 2014 and neither would let Iran get the bomb. If you want a real debate on foreign policy, you're just going to have to wait until Rand Paul gets the nomination in 2020. At times this felt almost as boring as that Gingrich v Huntsman debate that I and about 4 other people watched during the primaries."
Stanley says that the former Massachusetts governor clearly won last night's debate. "Romney now looks like the President and Obama looks like the challenger."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Mitt Romney, Barack Obama, debate, performance, glib, sarcasm
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?