Hudson & Fournier: Catholic Countdown to Election 2012, Day 22. Exposing More Misinformation and Lies
everyone who is willing and able to work, including jobs you can raise a family and save for retirement on, affordable health care that's there for you when you need it most and opportunity through education."
The specific issues and programs discussed in this section are: economic recovery, tax fairness, health reform, DREAM Act, poverty, Office of Faith Based and Community Partnerships, strengthening and supporting families, and Faith in Public Life; the latter is explained this way: "President Obama started the new tradition of an Easter Prayer Breakfast. He has also hosted events marking the holidays of diverse faiths, including Diwali, the Passover Seder, and continuing the tradition of celebrating Ramadan at The White House."
There is only one indirect mention of any of the settled, or non-negotiable issues for Catholics, those dealing with the avoidance of intrinsic evil -- abortion, marriage, euthanasia, fetal stem cell research, or religious liberty. The Obama/Biden claim of supporting families is this: "Increased funding for organizations promoting fatherhood, health, and marriages. Signed the Pregnancy Assistant Fund into law-a $250 million program which helps local organizations support pregnant women who are choosing to carry their pregnancies to term with the services they need."
So the Obama/Biden administration pretends that a $250 million program supporting pregnant women is truly representative of an administration that has done everything it possibly can to channel tax dollars to abortion providers, primarily Planned Parenthood. In 2011 Planned Parenthood alone received 360 million in federal monies. The inclusion of federal funding for abortion in Obamacare http://aclj.org/obamacare/how-obamacare-uses-taxpayer-money-pay-abortions.
Just in case you haven't heard enough, we recommend you take a look at the Catholics for Obama blog. (We assume you agree with us that one aspect of preparing for battle is finding out what the other side is thinking.) Browsing through the blog, we came upon "A Catholic Case for the Re-Election of President Obama," written by Prof. Donald P. Kommers, Joseph and Elizabeth Robbie, Professors of Political Science Emeritus, Notre Dame Law School, published on Oct, 4. As a former professor of law at a school as prestigious as the University of Notre Dame, you expect to find a sophisticated and compelling set of arguments put forth on behalf of the President. Here is what we read:
"With poverty and unemployment at record highs, it is clear that an unregulated market economy will fail to meet these basic human needs. For this reason, state intervention in the economy is as essential today as yesterday when, for example, federal laws were necessary to abolish child labor, to eliminate industrial sweatshops, to prohibit unsafe places of work, to outlaw union busting, to force employers to pay a living wage, to ensure the safety of food and drug products, to clean our air and water, and to regulate and so discipline the financial sector. To cut back on any of these features of the regulatory state or to oppose the great social achievements of recent decades, as Republicans are advocating today, flies in the face of Catholic social thinking."
Perhaps we are reading this incorrectly, but Prof. Kommers implies that Republicans want to eliminate laws against sweatshops, child labor, unsafe work places, union busting, the living wage, unsafe food and drugs, clean air and water? We are not aware of any Republican, or Democrat for that matter, who wants to turn the clock back to 1820!
Such exaggerations amount to lies, and lies are the last resort of Catholics who have to ignore the obvious to make a case for Obama/Biden.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Catholics for Obama, Obama, Biden, Romney, Ryan, Lies, campaign 2012, people of faith, Pro-Life, Catholic vote, Deal W Hudson, Keith A Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?