Amid hearings Libya gets new ambassador
Obama administration refused pleas for help.
The US has a new diplomat in Libya to assume the role of former Ambassador Chris Stevens who was killed in September 11 during a terrorist attack on the embassy. Laurence Pope is the temporary ambassador to Libya now.
Meanwhile, a hearing in the House, led by the Republican dominated House oversight committee, accused the government of ignoring pleas for assistance from the embassy in the weeks before the attacks.
The hearing revealed that the Obama administration as warned that the security at the embassy was dangerously understaffed and that State Department officials deliberately prevented upscaling of security there.
The State Department has also acknowledged that the events were not the result of a film protest gone violent, but were part of a more concerted effort - a terrorist attack.
Meanwhile, Democrats contend Republicans are playing up the significance of the terrorist attack which took the life of an Ambassador and three US Marines. --As if it were possible to play up such an attack.
Republicans say it is inappropriate to delay discussion just because of the upcoming election.
Benghazi has been the epicenter of a number of attacks conducted by militias and extremists. Many in the know speculated that it was only a matter of time before the embassy was attacked, therefore they requested further security.
It is unclear why the Obama administration refused the requests.
Regardless, the administration made a grave mistake in the face of compelling evidence and the pleas of the embassy staff. The congressional hearings will determine if further actions should be taken to ensure such situations are not repeated.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?