Memo shows Obama refused to increase security ahead of terror attacks
An ambassador and several marines were killed.
There's more evidence today that the attack in Benghazi was a terrorist attack, of which the government had warning. According to diplomatic cables, officers in Benghazi asked the Obama administration for more security forces for months prior to the attacks and never received a response.
Proof the attacks in Benghazi were terrorist events was taken from them number of heavy weapons and homemade bombs brought to the embassy. Photo (US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens Dead in streets of Benghazi)
Nordstrom also referred to some 200 smaller attacks in the country, which included small-scale bombings and gunfights between militia groups, between June of 2011 and July of 2012. Almost fifty of those incidents were in Benghazi, suggesting the area was a hotbed of unrest.
On Wednesday, a public hearing on the events in Benghazi will be held and Nordstrom's commentary will be key.
In the weeks that followed the attacks, which happened on 9/11, evidence quickly mounted that terrorists planned and coordinated the attacks.
While the administration chalked the events up to outrage over a video produced in the US about the Prophet Mohammed, evidence quickly surfaced showing a recently released Al Qaeda operative at the scene of the events as well as information which suggested the attacks were terrorist events rather than spontaneous protest.
The claims about the video were just a smokescreen - an excuse to cover the attacks with a riot.
Despite this evidence, the Obama administration continued until late September, virtually insisting the attacks were not terrorist events.
Eventually, the administration would be forced to acknowledge what the rest of the world knew - Al Qaeda was behind the attacks.
The State Department has promised "to be as cooperative as possible" during the hearings. The statement from Victoria Nuland sounds strangely defensive, as if the Department should ever be anything less.
Naturally, the findings of the hearing could provide fodder to Obama's opponents who have criticized him as being lax on security and on taking too soft and approach with Islamic militants around the world as well as with larger states such as Iran.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?