Hudson and Fournier:Catholic Countdown to Election 2012 - Day 35. Chris Smith and Catholic Courage
href="http://www.diopitt.org/sites/default/files/Know%20the%20Positions%20of%20the%20Presidential%20Candidates%20-%20PA.pdf " target=_blank>official voters' guide. All the information, a description of how Obama and Romney agree and differ on ten issues, is accurate and clearly presented. However, the issues are purposely listed "alphabetically." There is no distinction drawn, either by explanation or layout between settled issues, the non-negotiables, and prudential issues. As one friend in Pittsburgh wrote to me, "Thank God, abortion begins with an 'a'!"
Joy Allen, the Catholic from Pennsylvania who received the "push call" from an Obama Catholic supporter, received another call, this time for her son rather than her daughter. The caller used the same script read by the first caller, including the following: "Well, I am a practicing Catholic, and I have no problem supporting Obama. How can you support a Mormon who does not believe in Jesus Christ?"
This anti-Mormonism added to the lies told about President Obama's support for abortion make these calls problematic for a President who has said he admires Romney for "taking his faith very seriously." ABC News reported at the end of August that the "Obama campaign has said it would not make an issue of Romney's Mormonism during the lead up to the November election - a pledge which it so far has appeared to keep."
"We've said that's not fair game," senior Obama strategist David Axelrod said of both candidates' personal religious views in an interview with CNN earlier this year.
Given these anti-Mormon push calls and a story that was posted on the Drudge Report last evening, President Obama will face some tough questions about whether or not he has actually kept his promise to keep Romney's faith out of electioneering.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Catholic Vote, Romney, Ryan, Obama, Biden, Religious liberty, abortion, Pro-Life, marriage, Chris Smith,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?