God restored to Dems platform, fools nobody
Actions speak louder than words.
Democrats have rapidly backpedaled from their Godless stance that smacks of atheism in their platform. After widespread public outcry, the Democratic platform has been amended to restore God and the mention of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel to their guiding document.
Shall this be one nation under -- Obama?
In response to the backlash, some Democrats proposed an amendment to the platform which restored both God and Jerusalem in the document. After several contentious votes, these were finally approved.
Some Democrats were subsequently angered that God was restored to the platform and loudly booed the decision.
Democrats have already gone into full apologetic mode, explaining the restoration was to maintain consistency between the 2008 platform and Obama's personal views, but these statements are fooling nobody.
Of course, the proof is in how a candidate conducts himself. On the matter of Jerusalem, Obama has joined Bill Clinton and George W. Bush in defying a congressional mandate to return the US embassy to that city. The embassy remains in Tel Aviv, while Palestinians and Israelis are left to negotiate the details of what to do with the holy city.
As for God, Obama professes belief, but continues to preside over what may be the greatest persecution of the American Catholic Church in history. His likely unconstitutional healthcare edict continues to see implementation without meaningful accommodation and respect for the First Amendment rights of believers and their freedom of conscience.
And a variety of other anti-life policies, including abortion remain legal.
Ultimately, these are the standards by which a candidates beliefs ought to be judged, as opposed to passing mentions in official platforms.
By that standard then, God and Jerusalem remain out of the official spotlight and are likely to
remain so for at least several months to come.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: God, Democrats, platform, amendment, Jerusalem
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?