Guest Opinion: Guidance for the Informed Catholic Voter and A Look at the Party Platforms
gay rights are human rights. the State Department is funding a program that finances gay rights organizations to combat discrimination, violence, and other abuses." "We support marriage equality and support the movement to secure equal treatment under law for same-sex couples."
Republican Party Platform: "A serious threat to our country's constitutional order, perhaps even more dangerous than presidential malfeasance, is an activist judiciary, in which some judges usurp the powers reserved to other branches of government. A blatant example has been the court-ordered redefinition of marriage in several States. That is why Congressional Republicans took the lead in enacting the Defense of Marriage Act, affirming the right of States and the federal government not to recognize same-sex relationships licensed in other jurisdictions.
The current Administration's open defiance of this constitutional principle-in its handling of immigration cases, in federal personnel benefits, in allowing a "same-sex marriage" at a military base, and in refusing to defend DOMA (The Defense of Marriage Act) in the courts-makes a mockery of the President's inaugural oath." "We reaffirm our support for a Constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman." "With a Republican Administration, the (Justice) Department will fulfill its responsibility to defend all federal laws in court, including the Defense of Marriage Act." "We support the First Amendment right of freedom of association of the Boy Scouts of America and other service organizations whose values are under assault and condemn the State blacklisting of religious groups which decline to arrange adoptions by same-sex couples." " The effectiveness of our foreign aid has been limited by the cultural agenda of the current Administration, attempting to impose on foreign countries, especially the peoples of Africa, legalized abortion and the homosexual rights agenda."
6. Contraception (addition to the original list)
Democratic Party Platform: "As a result of our efforts, today. People with private insurance are getting . FDA-approved contraception with no out-of-pocket costs." "And that's why the Affordable Care Act is ending health insurance discrimination against women, and provides women with free access to . contraception."" The Affordable Care Act ensures that
women have access to contraception in their health insurance plans."
Republican Party Platform: "We oppose school-based clinics that provide referrals, counseling, and related services for abortion and contraception." "The most offensive instance of this war on religion has been the current Administration's attempt to compel faith-related institutions, as well as believing individuals, to contravene their deeply held religious, moral, or ethical beliefs regarding health services, traditional marriage, or abortion."
So there you have it. As the Bishops say, "Catholic teaching challenges voters and candidates, citizens and elected officials, to consider the moral and ethical dimensions of public policy issues." As Bishop Morlino of Madison, Wisconsin, reminded us recently, "A Catholic conscience can never take exception to the prohibition of actions which are intrinsically evil." Never has the choice been clearer than in this election. Please consider the platforms prayerfully, and vote as your conscience, "the voice of God resounding in your heart", directs you.
Dr. Frederick Liewehr is an endodontist who teaches and works in private practice. He converted from Protestantism to Catholicism in 1983, having been drawn ineluctably to Christ's Church by the light of Truth. He is a member of St. Benedict parish in Richmond, a Fourth Degree Knight of Columbus and a Cooperator of Opus Dei.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: catholic, catholic vote, intinsic evil, abortion, homosexuality, marriage, debt, republican, democrat, party platforms, Dr. Frederick Liewehr
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?