Someone is lying - 70 percent of Obama's 19 million Twitter followers are fake
New tool 'Fake Follower Check' really discerns who's hot - and who's not
According to a new Web tool, President Obama's Twitter account has
allegedly 18.8 million followers -- but more than half of them are
nonexistent. In fact, the new Web tool has determined that 70 percent of
Obama's crowd includes "fake followers."
'Fake accounts tend to follow a lot of people but have few followers,' Rob Waller, a founder of StatusPeople says. 'We then combine that with a few other metrics to confirm the account is fake.'
"The practice has become so widespread that StatusPeople, a social media management company in London, released a Web tool last month called the Fake Follower Check that it says can ascertain how many fake followers you and your friends have," the Times reports.
"Fake accounts tend to follow a lot of people but have few followers," Rob Waller, a founder of StatusPeople says. "We then combine that with a few other metrics to confirm the account is fake."
If this accounting is accurate, the number of fake followers out there is alarmingly high. According to the StatusPeople tool, 71 percent of Lady Gaga's nearly 29 million followers are "fake" or "inactive." So are 70 percent of President Obama's nearly 19 million followers.
On the other side of the coin, Republican opponent Mitt Romney has far fewer Twitter followers, not quite 900,000, but it's reasonable to believe that some of them are fake as well. Both Romney and Obama campaigns have denied buying Twitter followers.
"Since our blog 'Are you a Twitter Faker' things have gone a bit nuclear!" the tool says on its Web site. "Over 30,000 people have signed up to our tool and they have run 50,000 checks.
"So where did this all start? We've known for a while that purchasing Twitter followers is possible. But this issue really exploded when tech publication The Kernel did a feature on Azeem Azhar (CEO of Social Media influence scoring company Peer Index). The article covered how his Twitter follower count had increased by almost 20,000 'people'!
"To give him his due, Azhar came back with a fairly robust response. We can only assume that his singular crime was to be quite naïve in using his own Twitter account and not creating a fake one to purchase #FakeFollowers.
"Our second concern is that #FakeFollowers can be purchased for other people! Yes, that's right. I can take any Twitter Anchor and purchase thousands of Twitter followers at the click of a button.
"So how easy is it to buy followers? It's extremely easy. Learning from Azeem Azhar, I set up a fake account and purchased 1,000 followers from Social Media Corp for $10. Within 2 hours I had my 1,000 followers. But after a few days I had more than 3,000 followers! This is over 3,000 more followers than my personal Twitter account, which I've had over three 3 years! The hardest part was remembering my PayPal password to make the purchase!" the Web site says.
"So what's the point of all this? Well, we want to make it clear that for businesses there really is no reason to purchase followers in the first place. Although there may be an initial feel good factor and the kudos of showing your MD how well you're doing, the long term affect on more important KPIs -- like influence and reach -- will be negligible. It is these latter scores that will have an effect on web traffic, purchases and ultimately revenue. Not the number of inactive followers you have! We think your MD is going to be far more interested in the revenue number."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Twitter, fake followers, President Obama, StatusPeople
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?