Report: Americans will work more than six months to pay government cost in 2012
Americans work 88 days to pay for federal spending, report says
According to a new report, Americans have to work until July 15 to pay
for government operating costs, i.e. more than six months. Americans for
Tax Reform latest report has calculated that Americans will spend a
total of 197 days working to pay for the cost of government.
Entitled 'Cost of Government Day,' illustrates that Americans will work 88 days to pay for federal spending, 40 days for state and local spending and 69 days for total regulatory costs.
Entitled "Cost of Government Day," illustrates that Americans will work 88 days to pay for federal spending, 40 days for state and local spending and 69 days for total regulatory costs.
"While there is a slight improvement in the number of days worked to pay for federal spending this year, the growth of government remains the largest threat to American prosperity today.
"Taking spending from 20.8 percent of GDP in 2008 to 25.2 percent in 2009, the Obama Administration has overseen one of the largest expansions of the state in history.
In 2010, Congress passed and the President signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). This massive overhaul of the country's health care system exploits the unfunded liabilities of the current entitlements while exacerbating the crisis of exploding health care costs.
"Ultimately, the health care bill could cost upwards of $2.3 trillion, paid for partially with hundreds of billions of new taxes on Americans.
At the time of this writing, the United States Supreme Court is considering the constitutionality of the President's health care law. If PPACA is completely overturned, it would relieve Americans of its twenty new or higher taxes and unbridle the country with its trillions in expected new spending. However, the country's fiscal future will still be greatly imperiled by trillions in coming tax hikes beginning at the end of the year, unsustainable entitlement programs and unrestrained discretionary spending.
"From a different perspective, the cost of government makes up 54.0 percent of annual gross domestic product (GDP)," reads the report. "What's more, the largest tax hike in the nation's history is scheduled to take place at the end of 2012 unless Congress acts to protect taxpayers. If this tax increase is allowed to hit, COGD [Cost of Government Day] could permanently be pushed back into August and beyond."
To read the full report, profusely illustrated with graphics, log on to: http://www.costofgovernment.org/files/files/COGD2012_hi%20res.pdf
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Government spending, taxpayer, employment, labor
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?