Obama Campaign alleges Romney was CEO at Bain Capital for far longer than previously reported
Obama campaign maintains that Romney had been CEO as long as 2002 - and not 1999
In what is being calledby some a "bombshell" revelation, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney may have been the CEO of Bain Capital for years longer than previously reported. The Obama camp is using this newfound bit of information to their advantage, with Obama Campaign Manager declaring Romney "the most secretive candidate to run for president since Richard Nixon."
In a report in the Boston Globe, the former Massachusetts governor was alleged to have served as the company's CEO as long as 2002, while Romney maintains that he left active management of the firm in 1999.
The report is being used by the Obama camp to charge that Romney is not being truthful and forthcoming about his finances and tax returns. Romney's ties to Bain Capital have been one of the major planks against him in the re-election campaign.
In a report in the Boston Globe, the former Massachusetts governor was said to have served as the company's CEO up till 2002, while Romney maintains that he left active management of the firm in 1999.
The Romney campaign disputes the story. "The article is not accurate," Romney press secretary Andrea Saul said in a statement. "As Bain Capital has said, as Governor Romney has said, and as has been confirmed by independent fact checkers multiple times, Governor Romney left Bain Capital in February of 1999 to run the Olympics and had no input on investments or management of companies after that point."
"Romney wasn't involved in any investment decisions. He was on the SEC filings because he was still technically the owner but hadn't transferred ownership to other partners," Romney adviser Matt McDonald told POLITICO's Dylan Byers.
In the meantime, Cutter said the Globe report should send up a flag for the American public about trusting Romney's biography. The incident drastically undermines any claims that Romney is "someone who understands the real economy" unlike President Barack Obama.
"When he left the Statehouse in Massachusetts, he and his senior staff took all the hard drives with them. And with those hard drives were really the record of the governorship of Mitt Romney. So that broke precedent in Massachusetts. And then finally, Mitt Romney's Olympic record [is] less than wholesome, shall we say, in terms of the decisions that were made there, the contracts that were signed, and the basic operation of how Mitt Romney ran the Olympics," she said.
According to some Securities and Exchange Commission filings, Romney did not leave Bain Capital in 1999 as he previously claimed but continued his tenure for three additional years.
"Government documents filed by Mitt Romney and Bain Capital say Romney remained chief executive and chairman of the firm three years beyond the date he said he ceded control, even creating five new investment partnerships during that time," Globe reporters Callum Borchers and Christopher Rowland wrote.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Mitt Romney, CEO, Bain Capital, tenure
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Read this most OUTRAGEOUS list of questions asked by IRS officials
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?