Contempt vote against Holder could seriously damage Obama re-election
Most unpopular member of Obama's Cabinet could be the most decisive factor in campaign
The contempt vote against Attorney General Holder, in connection with
the Fast and Furious debacle, could count heavily against President
Barack Obama's re-election efforts. According to some polls, Holder is
by far the least popular member of the Obama cabinet. Many could use
Holder as an "albatross' around the president's neck to stymie his 2012
Attorney General Eric Holder has made a serious of unpopular decisions, which have riled Republicans - and quite a few democrats.
"I think that it's the biggest non-economic story (in 2012)," GOP pollster Adam Geller said of Fast and Furious. "You can bet that it's going to certainly get some mention, as it should, as a political issue."
The attorney general has a talent for riling elected Republicans. Rasmussen says that the general public hasn't exactly warmed up to him either.
Holder was a miserly approval rating of 47 percent, with just 17 percent of people having positive feelings about the attorney general. The most popular Cabinet member, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, boasted a 53 percent favorable rating.
Geller expects outside groups to make Fast and Furious and potentially Holder's other controversies an issue in the general election race, but cautioned the groups should not go "overboard." The race will still be about the economy, as well as the federal health care overhaul which was upheld by the Supreme Court this week.
"There's a double-edged sword here. It is a huge issue, however the economic issue (and the health care law) is all going to be the big issues," he said. "We have to pick and choose how we do this."
Seventeen House Democrats voted for contempt, indicating an early concern about being tied to Holder in a tough election year. In spite of this, the Obama administration officials and congressional Democrats have largely rallied around Holder. Some congressional Democrats have decried the GOP-led contempt push as an act of political theater.
"This isn't oversight. This is overkill," Assistant Democratic Leader James Clyburn, D-S.C., said in a statement.
White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer defended Holder in a statement released, describing him as "an excellent attorney general," noting that Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., who led the contempt charge, "acknowledged that he had no evidence -- or even the suspicion -- that the attorney general knew of the misguided tactics used in this operation."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Eric Holder, President Obama, fast and Furious, 2012 re-election
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?