Rick Santorum declines position with possible Romney administration
'My objective right now is to serve my family and provide for them,' Santorum says
Onetime bitter rival of Mitt Romney, former GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum says he would not take a job in a potential Mitt Romney administration, should the presumptive Republican nominee win the election.
Rick Santorum suspended his presidential campaign in April after his three-year-old daughter Bella was released from her second trip to the hospital. Bella suffers from a rare and often fatal disorder called Trisomy 18.
CNN host Candy Crowley pointed out to Santorum that his response did not sound like "a flat no," the former Pennsylvania senator countered: "Yes, it's -- it's pretty much a flat no.
"I mean, it's not because I don't want to help Governor Romney [and] I don't want to be a part of him having a successful presidency. It's just, for me, it's a matter of my priorities and my time of being a husband and father and I sort of have to take care -- I have to take care -- of them."
Santorum had criticized his former Republican rival earlier tin the interview for not coming down harder on President Obama's decision to halt the deportation of as many as 800,000 young illegal immigrants.
"He's trying to walk the line," Santorum said of Romney. "He's trying to walk a line as not to sound like he's hostile to Latinos -- swing voters -- and in very important states. But at the same time, I think you need to hammer the president on this now habitual abuse of power."
Santorum suspended his presidential campaign in April after his three-year-old daughter Bella was released from her second trip to the hospital. Bella suffers from a rare and often fatal disorder called Trisomy 18.
"This was a time for prayer and thought over this past weekend," Santorum said in a speech. "Just like it was when we decided to get into this race... we were very concerned about our role of being the best parents we possibly could to our kids," Santorum said of the kitchen-table discussion with his family before he launched his campaign.
Santorum said he balanced his desire to be a good father with his desire to do something positive for the country. He mentioned Bella and her condition as one of the reasons he joined the race -- to look out for Americans like her, who he said are "left behind."
"While this presidential campaign is over for me, we are going to continue fighting for those voices," Santorum told the crowd.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Rick Santorum, Mitt Romney, family, decline, Bella Santorum
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?