Billionaire casino mogul said to have contributed $10 million to Romney campaign
Sheldon Adelson was prominent figure in keeping Newt Gingrich's campaign afloat
Sheldon Adelson, the billionaire casino mogul who helped keep Newt
Gingrich's failed presidential campaign alive during the Republican
primaries, has now reportedly donated $10 million to the super PAC
supporting the presumptive GOP nominee, Mitt Romney. This news has been
leaked from those with inside knowledge of the matter. PAC Restore Our
Future leader Carl Forti would neither confirm nor deny the donation,
saying his policy was to not comment on donors or potential donors.
Sheldon Adelson's insiders said that he wants to be certain about Romney's positions on key issues, including support for Israel against aggressors in the Middle East. Adelson has been highly vocal about President Barack Obama's support of Israel as too weak.
Forbes Magazine has ranked Adelson among the 10 wealthiest Americans with a net worth of more than $20 billion. Adelson also serves as the chairman and chief executive of Las Vegas Sands Corporation, which includes the famous Venetian casino in Las Vegas, in addition to casinos in Macau and Singapore.
Adelson gave $21 million in total to a PAC supporting Newt Gingrich during the early primaries. Adelman and his cronies abandoned Gingrich after he fell far behind in the races and the delegate count.
After Gingrich pulled out of the primary race, Republican leaders have been expecting for Adelson to step forward for Romney. Adelson and Romney had a private meeting last month in Las Vegas. Adelson attended Romney's dessert fundraiser afterwards for those who contributed $50,000 or more.
Adelson's insiders said that he wants to be certain about Romney's positions on key issues, including support for Israel against aggressors in the Middle East. Adelson has been highly vocal about President Barack Obama's support of Israel as too weak.
Adelson has told friends that he intends to give at least $100 million to conservative causes and candidates this election cycle, contributing some $250,000 to Republican Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who just won against a labor union-forced recall election there.
Adelson has also told colleagues that he would prefer to keep his contributions under wraps in order to avoid controversy, and will likely focus donations mostly on non-profits affiliated with political PACS, which don't have to disclose the names of donors. Adelson is expected to donate to the conservative non-profit Crossroads GPS, which was founded by Republican strategist Karl Rove, a longtime friend of Adelson, according to Republican fundraisers.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?