Was Attorney General Holder caught in a lie?
Where is his superior knowledge?
The US Attorney General, the man tasked with overseeing law enforcement across the entire country, has responded to Congressional inquiry over his involvement with "Fast and Furious," a disastrous scheme that put weapons in the hands of Mexican crime bosses.
"You claim with passion that nobody at the senior levels at the Department of Justice prior to the death of Brian Terry knew that guns were walking, and I've got an email from Jason Weinstein using the term 'guns walking,'" Chaffetz said.
Holder ducked the question, saying that the email referred to a different operation.
"That refers to Wide Receiver, not Fast and Furious," balked Holder.
Chaffetz fired back "That is not what the February 4 letter that was sent to the United States Congress said. that's not true."
Holder stood his ground, compelling Chaffetz to read every email verbatim to the committee.
"The email says Fast and Furious, you say it doesn't. I've got it in black and white," Chaffetz said.
"I have superior knowledge," answered Holder.
At least on that point, Holder is correct, and consequently he should be held to a high standard of testimony - a standard that many believe he is not meeting. So just where is Holder's superior knowledge?
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) has criticized the Department of Justice, saying they have not produced any of the documents requested by the committee back in February, essentially stalling part of the investigation. Furthermore, Issa is in possession of what The Blaze refers to as "stacks of the wiretap applications which he said were provided by 'furious whistleblowers' who were tired of Justice Department stonewalling."
Holder was asked if he read the documents, and simply replied that he disagrees with the committee's conclusion.
At least one border patrol agent and possibly hundreds of Mexican citizens have died as a result of the Fast and Furious debacle. And rather than acknowledging a mistake and owning up to justice, the Attorney General is setting an example of how to obstruct when faced with the truth.
Perhaps most tragically, while Holder ducks and weaves his way through hearings, he continues to collect a taxpayer funded paycheck (with benefits) and remains responsible for overseeing law enforcement in America. This while grieving families on both sides of the border deal with their losses and worry about who the next victim of this American injustice will be.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?