Was Attorney General Holder caught in a lie?
Where is his superior knowledge?
The US Attorney General, the man tasked with overseeing law enforcement across the entire country, has responded to Congressional inquiry over his involvement with "Fast and Furious," a disastrous scheme that put weapons in the hands of Mexican crime bosses.
But he has superior knowledge! Perhaps we should stop with all the questions.
"You claim with passion that nobody at the senior levels at the Department of Justice prior to the death of Brian Terry knew that guns were walking, and I've got an email from Jason Weinstein using the term 'guns walking,'" Chaffetz said.
Holder ducked the question, saying that the email referred to a different operation.
"That refers to Wide Receiver, not Fast and Furious," balked Holder.
Chaffetz fired back "That is not what the February 4 letter that was sent to the United States Congress said. that's not true."
Holder stood his ground, compelling Chaffetz to read every email verbatim to the committee.
"The email says Fast and Furious, you say it doesn't. I've got it in black and white," Chaffetz said.
"I have superior knowledge," answered Holder.
At least on that point, Holder is correct, and consequently he should be held to a high standard of testimony - a standard that many believe he is not meeting. So just where is Holder's superior knowledge?
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) has criticized the Department of Justice, saying they have not produced any of the documents requested by the committee back in February, essentially stalling part of the investigation. Furthermore, Issa is in possession of what The Blaze refers to as "stacks of the wiretap applications which he said were provided by 'furious whistleblowers' who were tired of Justice Department stonewalling."
Holder was asked if he read the documents, and simply replied that he disagrees with the committee's conclusion.
At least one border patrol agent and possibly hundreds of Mexican citizens have died as a result of the Fast and Furious debacle. And rather than acknowledging a mistake and owning up to justice, the Attorney General is setting an example of how to obstruct when faced with the truth.
Perhaps most tragically, while Holder ducks and weaves his way through hearings, he continues to collect a taxpayer funded paycheck (with benefits) and remains responsible for overseeing law enforcement in America. This while grieving families on both sides of the border deal with their losses and worry about who the next victim of this American injustice will be.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Fast and Furious, Holder, Issa, Chaffetz, lying, testimony, committee, Congress
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?