Ex-PATRIOT Act to go after tax dodgers
Act follows Eduardo Saverin's renunciation of US citizenship.
Uncle Sam doesn't like it when you dodge your taxes. Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin announced that he was renouncing his US citizenship ahead of Facebook's IPO, a move that would keep the government from getting its hands on his share of some $4 billion from the move.
No matter how many of these you have, you may not be able to dodge US taxes for much longer...
To prevent this from happening in the future, Senators Schumer and Bob Casey (D-PA) plan to announce what they call the "Ex-PATRIOT" act, or "Expatriation Prevention by Abolishing Tax-Related Incentives for Offshore Tenancy."
Presently, Saverin is pocketing some $67 million that would otherwise go to the IRS.
The proposal would actually make it legal for the US to go after Saverin and others like him who attempt to avoid taxation by renouncing citizenship and moving money offshore. The law would prevent such individuals from entering the US ever again.
The law would also impose a 30 percent capital gains tax on anybody who renounces their US citizenship.
Meanwhile, Saverin's spokesman, Tom Goodman explained his actions by saying in an email to Bloomberg News, "Eduardo recently found it more practical to become a resident of Singapore since he plans to live there for an indefinite period of time."
Renunciation of US citizenship is relatively rare. Last year, only about 1,700 people renounced US citizenship.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Eduardo Saverin, facebook, ex-partiot act, Schumer, taxes, IPO
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?