Newsweek proclaims Obama as the 'First Gay President'
Magazine joins the fray of shocking supermarket shoppers with racy covers
The cover depicts U.S. President Barack Obama with a stern expression on his face while enveloped in a rainbow-hued halo, the symbol of gay pride. Newsweek magazine declares Obama as "The First Gay President." While the heterosexual, married father of two doesn't fit the standard notion of a gay man, many see the cover as an attempt by Newsweek to best rival news magazine Time for shocking covers.
While the heterosexual, married father of two doesn't fit the standard notion of a gay man, many see the cover as an attempt by Newsweek to best rival news magazine Time for shocking covers.
Newsweek released the cover early, likely hoping to drum up attention for their next issue and their same-sex marriage coverage.
Many see it as a flamboyant retort to the recent Time magazine cover of a young blonde mother breastfeeding her 3-year-old boy.
Stealing a quote from the popular motion picture "The Hunger Games," Editor Brown is said to have announced "let the games begin!"
Newsweek magazine's regular blogger, Andrew Sullivan, who is an openly gay self-titled conservative political pundit wrote the accompanying article.
"When you step back a little and assess the record of Obama on gay rights, you see, in fact, that this was not an aberration. It was an inevitable culmination of three years of work," Sullivan said in a statement about the article.
"He had to discover his black identity and then reconcile it with his white family, just as gays discover their homosexual identity and then have to reconcile it with their heterosexual family," Sullivan writes.
President Obama made his announcement of his support for gay marriage in a taped interview with Good Morning America's Robin Roberts last week.
Historic: President Obama made his announcement in a taped interview with Good Morning America's Robin Roberts on Wednesday
There was little doubt that Newsweek would be covering the President's historic announcement that he supports same-sex marriage after he had a sit-down television interview confirming what many already believed to be the case.
Newsweek points out that this is the first time that a sitting President had done so, and the magazine asserts that such a move was a calculated one that had been craftily planned.
"It's easy to write off President Obama's announcement of his support for gay marriage as a political ploy during an election year. But don't believe the cynics," representatives from the news magazine told Politico.
President Obama's announcement came several days after Vice President Joe Biden said that he was "absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women and men and women marrying are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties."
Republicans, the majority of whom are against gay marriage, say Obama simply made his historic announcement in an effort to gain support among liberal voters in the lead up to the general election.
"While President Obama has played politics on this issue, the Republican Party and our presumptive nominee Mitt Romney has been clear," Republican national committee chairman Reince Priebus said in a statement.
"We support maintaining marriage between one man and one woman and would oppose any attempts to change that."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Gay marriage, Newsweek, Time, Barack Obama
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?