'Catholic' Joe Biden supports extra rights for gays
All Americans presently enjoy the same rights, but that's not enough for some.
Vice President Joe Biden has come out swinging at traditional marriage. He personally endorsed the position held by proponents of "same-sex" marriage. That amounts to granting a moral and legal equivalency between homosexual relationships and authentic marriage between a man and a woman. The Obama administration has already backtracked on Biden's comments.
America has spoken, but Obama and Biden won't listen -- the agenda is louder.
The problem is, everyone Biden mentioned already has the exact same rights, civil rights, and all the civil liberties. All consenting adults in the US are freely permitted to marry a spouse of their choosing, provided they are of the opposite sex. Now authorizing a unique form of "marriage" for gays and lesbians would give newly created "rights" to people who already have the same rights as everybody else.
From a Catholic perspective, as well as the perspective of the Natural Law, marriage between two individuals of the same sex is impossible. Homosexual partners simply cannot achieve the ends of marriage. Calling their relationship a "marriage" and then using the police power of the State to enforce the fiction does not serve the common good.
It remains unclear if president Obama would support same-sex marriage in his second term, but the backtracking began almost immediately. A spokesperson for Biden later clarified the VP's remarks saying, "The vice president was saying what the president has said previously - that committed and loving same-sex couples deserve the same rights and protections enjoyed by all Americans, and that we oppose any effort to rollback those rights. That's why we stopped defending the constitutionality of section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act in legal challenges and support legislation to repeal it. Beyond that, the Vice President was expressing that he too is evolving on the issue, after meeting so many committed couples and families in this country."
While this tempers Biden's statement, it also hints that President Obama may be willing to sell out marriage for the votes. After all, what other agenda could motivate the President to stop defending the truth about marriage?
It was also pointed out by Administration sources that Biden never stated in explicit terms that he specifically supported "gay marriage".
What some observers believe may be happening is, as the Obama administration struggles to keep its faltering hopes of reelection alive, they are willing to take such stances in an effort to win votes.
This is not the kind of principled leadership that makes Nations - or Presidents - great.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Gay rights, marriage, equality, anti marriage, Catholic, Biden, extra rights for gays
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Read this most OUTRAGEOUS list of questions asked by IRS officials
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?