David Jones on Why Mitt Romney's Mormonism Does Matter
personal faith. It is one of the honest-to-goodness real convictions that he holds, unfortunately it appears as if the rest of his beliefs are like a bowl of Jell-O.
Here are several facts which Catholics must face regarding Mitt Romney:
1. A vote for Mitt is a vote for a non-Christian. What we know as a hard fact about Mitt Romney is that he is not a Christian from the official standpoint of the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church does not recognize the baptism of Mormons as valid.
2. A vote for Mitt is a vote for someone who does not believe that creation begins at conception. There is no wonder why Mitt is so weak on the Life issues. It is rooted in a bad theology, a non-Christian anthropology.
3. A vote for Mitt is a vote for someone who appointed liberal Pro-Choice judges to the bench while he was Governor of Massachusetts. Can you trust him now to appoint conservative Pro-Life judges to the U.S. Supreme Court or will likely appoint moderates? Do you trust his record or rhetoric?
4. A vote for Mitt is a vote for someone who discriminated against the Catholic Church, specifically Catholic hospitals, while he was Governor in Massachusetts. If he had no problems violating the consciences of Catholics then, what will stop him from doing so against Catholics now? After all government mandated health care is his own model which has now been adopted nationally.
One could argue that not voting at all in the Presidential election this cycle is really a vote for Life. Not voting would be a vote against Mitt Romney but not a cooperation with evil by supporting a Pro-Choice candidate like our current President. The Republican establishment must stop endorsing and supporting weak (or nominal) Pro-Life Presidential candidates.
Ultimately, politics is about winning. If Republicans continue to lose Presidential elections, elections which they should have won, maybe, just maybe, they will finally wake up. Let us pray this occurs. It is about time for the Republican establishment to stop giving lip-service to the dignity of the unborn. Saving the lives of thousands of innocent and defenseless unborn children depend on us and how we vote, or not vote, this election cycle.
Disclaimer - The opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author and not those of the U.S. Army.
David Jones holds a Masters in Theological Studies from the Institute of Religious and Pastoral Studies, University of Dallas. He is a member of the Fraternity of Communion and Liberation, a Pontifically recognized and approved ecclesial movement. He also runs a popular blog entitled La Nouvelle Theologie. His conversion story is published in the Italian book entitled Sotto Il Cielo D'America (Under the American Sky) written by Marco Bardazzi. The introduction of this book has been translated into English and is available on-line here. He also runs a popular blog entitled La Nouvelle Theologie http://ressourcement.blogspot.com/ and contributes to Journaling for Faith, Family, and Freedom.http://fffblog.posterous.com/
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Mitt Romney, Mormon, LDS, Barack Obama, campaign 2012, election, Republican, Pro-Life, Fr. Dwight Longenecker, David Jones
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- The New Golden Calf and the Women of a New Babylon. America and Kardashian - Where's the outrage?
- FBI admits to using drones on U.S. soil. What's next armed drones?
- Supreme Court: No, you can't ask for proof of citizenship for voter registration
- What happens when the Culture of Surveillance meets the Culture of Corruption?
- Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
- Bombshell: Low-level NSA agents can wiretap anyone, even the president, sans warrant
- PRISM precursor programs sparked concerns, potential resignations under Bush
- Facebook, Microsoft reveal number of government requests for your info, but no details
- Whistle-blower Snowden says Obama can still save face after PRISM debacle
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?