Obama's new title - Hypocrite in Chief
Obama was against signing statements before he was for them.
It isn't supposed to be that way.
Presidential signing statements are pronouncements added by the President when signing a bill into law. James Monroe issued the first signing statement. Since then it has been a way for Presidents to convey their opinion on important laws as they take effect. This opinion can affect enforcement, and even undermine the law itself.
The use of signing statements is controversial, but the Supreme Court has never addressed the issue directly. Historically, they have just been commentary on the law, such as a triumphant proclamation. It wasn't until the presidency of Ronald Regan that they became routine. Now they number in the hundreds.
The problem with President Obama is he made a pledge not to use signing statements to circumvent Congress, but now stuck at the possible end of his administration with a Congress that refuses to bow, he has started to use those statements as a routine method for undermining the will of Congress.
Obama introduced his 2008 quote with, "I taught the Constitution for 10 years. I believe in the Constitution and I will obey the Constitution of the United States."
For someone who is supposed to be an expert on the Constitution and has such a strong opinion against the use of signing statements, his reversal of opinion demands explanation. Of course, none may be needed. William M. Daley, Obama's former Chief of Staff told the New York Times, "The president expressed frustration, saying we have got to scour everything and push the envelope in finding things we can do on our own."
For someone who abhors end runs around Congress, this is certainly a big shift.
And now Obama is taking this to the next level by adopting the slogan, "We can't wait," on his website. Of course, what he's saying on the site is that the President cannot wait for Congress to create jobs. Never mind that job creation is not a responsibility assigned to the government in the Constitution. Rather, if anything, it's the responsibility of government to keep out of the way of job creation. But Obama is building his platform on individual rule and his ability to circumvent democracy by issuing edicts. So, I guess after the next election if Obama wins his new title will be 'Emperor Obama.'
Is this the same man who taught the Constitution for 10 years? Is this the man who swore to uphold and protect the very process he now rails against?
If so, it also makes him something besides President; it makes him the Hypocrite-in-Chief.
Fair warning folks.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obama, signing statements,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?