Moskowitz gives $1 million to defeat Obama
Conservative donor is an avid supporter of Jewish causes.
An ultra-conservative Jewish donor has given $1 million to American Crossroads, the Karl-Rove linked super PAC. Irving Moskowitz made the donation in February.
Irving Mozkowitz has given $1 million to the American Crossroads super PAC.
Moskowitz is an 83 year-old retired physician who made his fortune running bingo and casino operations in California. He is also a supporter of far-right Israeli groups. More recently, he has supported American political groups including groups that suggest Obama is not an American-born citizen and that he has ties to radical Islam.
His February donation represents his largest donation to a super PAC to date.
Moskowitz grew up in New York and Milwaukee during the 1930s and 40s. The events of those times, as well as losing more than 120 family members during the holocaust, helped shape his Jewish identity and his strong ultra-conservative views.
After relocating to Southern California to practice medicine, Moskowitz purchased distressed hospitals and flipped them, donating the profits to Jewish settlers in West Bank and Gaza.
Since 2008, Moskowitz has given more than $15 million to the cause of Jewish settlement.
He has also created problems for the Obama administration, which has been advocating a freeze on new Jewish settlements. Moskowitz has been using his money and influence in Israel to promote settlements in spite of the Administration's opposition.
Several groups that are advocating a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict regard Moskowitz's involvement as a roadblock to the peace process.
While Moskowitz donates lavishly to causes that support ultra-conservative Jewish activity in Israel, and anti-Obama political causes on the US, his latest donation in certain to catch the attention of both Republicans and Democrats. Both sides are becoming increasingly aware that the race to come will be particularly negative - and expensive. Every dollar will count, and a million of them could make a real difference in the final outcome.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Irving Moskowitz, Obama, Israel, Palestine, Super PAC, Rove
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?