Eric Holder Guilty? Angry words fly - Fast and Furious, over botched gun-sting program
GOP critics threaten to impeach Attorney General Eric Holder over failed operation
GOP critics threatened impeachment for Attorney General Eric Holder,
accusing him of withholding information from Congress about Operation
Fast and Furious. Began in 2009, the program allowed illegally purchased
firearms to be taken from gun stores in Arizona across the Mexican
border to drug cartels in order to monitor the flow of weapons to their
destination. The operation backfired when hundreds of weapons went lost
or became unaccounted for. Two of the missing weapons were found at a
site where Border Patrol agent Brian Terry was killed in December of
Attorney General Eric Holder compared GOP Rep. Darrell Issa to Sen. Joe McCarthy, the infamous Wisconsin Republican censured by the Senate in 1954 for leading a notorious Communist witch hunt.
In turn, Holder compared Issa to Sen. Joe McCarthy, the infamous Wisconsin Republican censured by the Senate in 1954 for leading a notorious Communist witch hunt.
"As they said in the McCarthy hearings, have you no shame?" Holder asked, referencing a famous retort to McCarthy.
"Why haven't you terminated the people involved?" asked Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that is investigating the arms-tracking operation. Issa pressed Holder to appear before the congressman's committee, and the attorney general said he would consider the request.
Holder acknowledged mistakes were made, but said he would not step down over the controversy. Holder accused the GOP of playing political games, saying he also didn't think any of his top aides should step down.
Wisconsin GOP Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner told Holder that "heads should roll" over the matter.
"There is really no responsibility within the Justice Department," Sensenbrenner said. "The thing is, if we don't get to the bottom of this -- and that requires your assistance on that -- there is only one alternative that Congress has and it is called impeachment."
Holder told committee members the operation relied on "unacceptable tactics" and was "inexcusable." But Holder insisted that Justice Department officials have cooperated with congressional investigators, saying that any previous misleading information provided on the matter was not part of an intentional deception.
"It all has to do with your state of mind and whether or not you had the requisite intent to come up with something that can be considered perjury or (a) lie," Holder said.
Holder accused his GOP critics of engaging in "inflammatory and inappropriate rhetoric ... in an effort to score political points."
It's time to end "politically motivated 'gotcha' games," Holder said.
A number of Republicans have called for Holder to step down. Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar last month said the attorney general's "refusal to take responsibility for the actions of his department is inexcusable."
© 2011, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Attorney General Eric Holder, Fast and Furious, impeachment
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?