Disgraced ACORN taints Occupy Wall Street with corruption
Group may be unscrupulously soliciting money, recruiting shills.
The disgraced community activist group ACORN, appears to have reared its ugly head once again. This time, in support of the Occupy Wall Street protests. As the unscrupulous and unethical activities of the reconstituted group are exposed, they taint would could otherwise be a growing protest movement in the country.
The NYCC was formed in late 2009 after ACORN lost Congressional funding in the wake of scandal.
Fox news is reporting that they have spoken to several people, including homeless shills who have been recruited by the organization and paid $10 per hour to participate in protests. Fox news is making an effort to uncover the truth about the connection between Occupy Wall Street and the NYCC.
There is nothing illegal about fundraising, nor going door to door to do it. However, misrepresenting oneself then spending that money on a cause for which it was not collected is fraudulent.
The NYCC and ACORN are virtually the same organization. According to reports, they use the same offices and even old ACORN stationery. The NYCC has hired approximately 100 former ACORN affiliated staff from other cities, and is reputedly paying some of them $100 a day to participate in Occupy Wall Street events.
If these reports are true, they cannot help but to discredit what has otherwise been a growing protest movement. Occupy Wall Street has enjoyed broad public support and has spread across the country. The supposedly leaderless movement has attracted articulate and well groomed supporters, often disaffected college students and graduates, who face bleak prospects for their future.
While many people may agree that the national conversation must change to focus on people, rather than politics, and on health and education, rather than bickering, it is nothing but a tragedy to see that corrupt agents of the dis-establishment have hijacked the message for their own political ends.
It is unclear how much money the NYCC is providing to the Occupy Wall Street movement. In fact, the NYCC may even be taking advantage of Occupy Wall Street movement--it is impossible to tell just what their fundraising and accounting practices are, however it appears that the recruiting of shills suggests possible unethical behavior.
These allegations warrant investigation. If the NYCC is engaging in corrupt and deceptive practices, then the Occupy Wall Street movement will have no choice but to disassociate itself from the organization, no matter how much financial support it may be providing.
If this disassociation does not occur, then the movement itself is tainted, and will have no hope of succeeding in its stated goals, whatever they may be. That is another part of the problem faced by the occupiers,there is little clarity concerning their goals.
That's assuming, of course, that its stated goals are its actual ones.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?