Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Pro-Freedom Herman Cain Wins Florida Straw Poll
His victory is being billed as a surprise by many in the media
"The Founding Fathers got it right because of those fundamental principles: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They also got it in the right order. And you can pursue all the liberties that you want as long as you don't infringe upon the life of anybody else. And that starts with the life of the unborn" (Herman Cain)
Herman Cain, candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination
ORLANDO, FL. (Catholic Online) - "The Founding Fathers got it right. The Founding Fathers got it right because of those fundamental principles: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They also got it in the right order. That wasn't an accident.
"Their vision meant that you could pursue happiness in America as long as you don't infringe upon the liberties of somebody else. And you can pursue all the liberties that you want as long as you don't infringe upon the life of anybody else. And that starts with the life of the unborn."
"The courts have failed the American people. Congress needs to enact a constitutional amendment to protect the sacred institution of marriage. Liberal-minded judges have opened a floodgate of judicial tyranny that will chip away at the core values of this country until nothing sacred is left!"
"It started with not allowing prayer in schools, not being able to display the Ten Commandments, attempting to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance and now making same-sex marriages legal."
The man who, in the statements above- and on many, many other occasions - has defended the right to life, the primacy of true marriage between one man and one woman, and the core values which are the foundation of the American experiment, won the Florida straw poll on Saturday.
His victory is being billed as a surprise by many in the media and the Republican political establishment. It should not come as a surprise to those who have been watching this 2012 Republican Presidential primary race carefully. People want a pro-life, pro-marriage and pro-freedom candidate. They are not going to simply accept the handpicked Republican establishment candidate-not this time.
Herman Cain has been unafraid to speak of his convictions with clarity, charm and conviction. He done so on many issues. He has clearly identifiable positions on economic issues and he is developing clarity and consistency on matters of foreign policy.
Cain is a successful businessman and a non-politician with absolutely no political experience. This is increasingly appealing to many. His career of service, success in business and family life are exemplary. He has a down to earth speaking style and his speeches are regularly sprinkled with a kind of "everyman" humor which is refreshing; especially after so much scripting.
His most often cited executive position is as the former Godfather's Pizza Chief Executive. However, he has a proven record in the banking industry and in several other business endeavors. He has made payroll and managed budgets. He is a "self made man" with a love for America and a smile which makes the observer smile and captures his spirit.
Herman Cain won this Florida Straw Poll decisively. He garnered 37 percent of the vote. Rick Perry took 15 percent and Mitt Romney took 14 percent. Showing a growing strength in the wake of a strong performance at the Florida debate, Rick Santorum took a respectable 11 percent. Ron Paul took 10 percent, Newt Gingrich, 8.4 percent, John Huntsman, 2.3 percent and Michelle Bachmann finished last with only 1.5 percent.
He gave an official statement upon hearing the good news which included these words: "Thank you to the Republican voters for this incredible honor of being named the winner of the Presidency 5 straw poll in Florida today.This is a sign of our growing momentum and my candidacy that cannot be ignored. I will continue to share my message of 'common-sense solutions' across this country and look forward to spending more time in Florida, a critical state for both the nomination and the general election."
The efforts of the Republican political establishment to pick the 2012 nominee of the Republican Party are failing. Herman Cain's victory in the Florida straw poll is just the beginning of more surprises to come as the formerly "last tier" candidates begin to emerge as more capable of contending with the President in the 2012 campaign than the establishment candidates. Stay tuned, there are many surprises ahead.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Mitt Romney
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?