Weiner apologizes for lewd photos - but will not resign
Representative takes full responsibility for his actions. Will remain with wife
U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner formally apologized for lying about posting inappropriate photos online and admitted to carrying on relationships with several women he'd met online. The New York Democrat also said that he is not resigning, nor is he planning on separating from his wife. He says he's taking "full responsibility" for his actions, for both the illicit relationships and for lying about sending a lewd photo of himself last month on his Twitter account.
Anthony Weiner claimed he does not believe he used any government resources, while he 'exchanged messages and photos of an explicit nature with about six women over the last three years.' Some of those relationships began before his 2010 marriage and some happened, and continued, afterward.
"I lied because I was ashamed at what I had done, and I didn't want to get caught."
Weiner described his actions as "dumb," "destructive" and "deeply, deeply hurtful" -- both for his obfuscation and for repeatedly engaging in "inappropriate conversations conducted over Twitter, Facebook, e-mail and occasionally on the phone" with women he'd met online.
The congressman says that he never met any of the women in person, and that his wife Huma only recently learned he'd been lying about the Twitter picture on Monday morning.
"I have made terrible mistakes," Weiner told reporters. "I have not been honest with myself or my family. ... I should not have done this, and I should not have done this particularly when I was married."
Weiner claimed he does not believe he used any government resources, while he "exchanged messages and photos of an explicit nature with about six women over the last three years." Some of those relationships began before his 2010 marriage and some happened, and continued, afterward.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi announced that she would press on "for an Ethics Committee investigation to determine whether any official resources were used or any other violation of House rules occurred."
Weiner issued a statement saying he would "welcome and fully cooperate" with the probe. One Republican source called the move "hollow," saying Pelosi should have insisted that Weiner resign, as former Rep. Chris Lee, a New York Republican, did in February amid reports that the married man had tried to solicit women via Craigslist.
If Weiner were to choose to resign or be compelled to leave office, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, also a Democrat would determine the timing of a special election to replace him.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Anthony Weiner, Internet, lewd photos, Facebook
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?