Catholic League Calls for Defunding 'Safe Sex' Programs
The Obama administration mindlessly cut all funding for abstinence-only programs, citing the lack of scientific evidence for such models.
Pictured: Bill Donohue, President of the Catholic League: 'Now that their beloved “here’s how to put a condom on a cucumber” approach to sex ed is a proven disaster, it’s time to cut 'safe sex' programs and put all the money into abstinence-only ones.'
This study, which focused on African American students from four public middle schools in the Northeast between the years 2001 and 2004, is being hailed by the scientific community for its methodological excellence.
Sociologist Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, looked at the many aspects of this landmark study:
"An honest look at the evidence yields several conclusions, one of which is that “safe sex” programs are a danger to American youth and need to be defunded by the Obama administration immediately.
"The student body was divided into four different groups: those who received an abstinence-only education; those who followed a “safe sex” curriculum; those who were exposed to a comprehensive program that included elements of both approaches; and those who were introduced to a “healthy living” curriculum, e.g., advice on eating and exercise.
"The worst results stemmed from those who followed the “safe sex” strategy: 52 percent started having sex.
The best results came from those who followed the abstinence-only approach: 33 percent of the students started having sex.
"Those in the blended program, and those in the “healthy living” one, yielded results of 42 and 47 percent, respectively. In other words, even those kids who were not given a sex education program at all did better than those in the “safe sex” group.
"The Obama administration mindlessly cut all funding for abstinence-only programs, citing the lack of scientific evidence for such models.
"Now that their beloved “here’s how to put a condom on a cucumber” approach to sex ed is a proven disaster, it’s time to cut “safe sex” programs and put all the money into abstinence-only ones.
It’s also time to fund voucher programs: black kids in Catholic schools succeed both in and out of the classroom."
- - -
The Catholic League is the nation's largest Catholic civil rights organization. Founded in 1973 by the late Father Virgil C. Blum, S.J., the Catholic League defends the right of Catholics – lay and clergy alike – to participate in American public life without defamation or discrimination. It is led by its' President, William A. Donohue, Ph.D.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- The New Golden Calf and the Women of a New Babylon. America and Kardashian - Where's the outrage?
- FBI admits to using drones on U.S. soil. What's next armed drones?
- Supreme Court: No, you can't ask for proof of citizenship for voter registration
- What happens when the Culture of Surveillance meets the Culture of Corruption?
- Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
- Bombshell: Low-level NSA agents can wiretap anyone, even the president, sans warrant
- PRISM precursor programs sparked concerns, potential resignations under Bush
- Facebook, Microsoft reveal number of government requests for your info, but no details
- Whistle-blower Snowden says Obama can still save face after PRISM debacle
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?