President Obama: Homosexual Unions Equivalent to Marriage
What occurred on Saturday night is a very, very serious matter. President Obama sent the signal. He will not defend authentic marriage.
(President Obama at the Human Rights Campaign Banquet) 'I support ensuring that committed gay couples have the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple in this country... I've called on Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act'.
Lest anyone be confused concerning the meaning of his words here is another excerpt: “… I support ensuring that committed gay couples have the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple in this country. I believe strongly in stopping laws designed to take rights away and passing laws that extend equal rights to gay couples. I've required all agencies in the federal government to extend as many federal benefits as possible to LGBT families as the current law allows. And I've called on Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act and to pass the Domestic Partners Benefits and Obligations Act. And we must all stand together against divisive and deceptive efforts to feed people's lingering fears for political and ideological gain.”
Tony Perkins, President of the “Family Research Council”, and a leading Evangelical Protestant voice, in an article entitled “Homosexual Activists Go GaGa for Obama”, described the implications of the speech in these words: “One thing was clear from Obama's speech -- his goal (like that of homosexual activists) is not simply equal legal rights. It is, rather, to overturn millennia of moral teaching that has acknowledged the harms of homosexual conduct and the unique benefits of marriage between a man and a woman. He dismissed those values as "outworn arguments and old attitudes," while decrying the grassroots campaigns to defend marriage as "divisive and deceptive efforts to feed people's lingering fears for political and ideological gain. In other words, if you hold to traditional values, the ultimate goal is simple -- to silence you. President Obama told HRC, "[D]o not doubt the direction we are heading and the destination we will reach." That's a warning the American people should heed.”
I write as a Catholic Christian to a mostly Catholic readership. Let’s be clear. The Catholic Church will not change its position on the nature of authentic marriage because it cannot. Truth is not up for grabs. However, after Saturday night, the efforts through legislation and the courts to undermine authentic marriage by expanding its definition to enforce a “legal equivalency” for homosexual partnerships have now taken a quantum leap forward. The leading voice for this Cultural Revolution is now President Barack Obama. Anyone who dares to question whether such a legal equivalency serves the common good were called “divisive and deceptive.”
That, of course, includes Catholics who really believe what the Magisterium (teaching office) of the Catholic Church teaches. By insisting that marriage remain what it has always been, we now stand in a precarious place in this Nation we love. Among the clearest summaries of the teaching of our Church was that which was set forth by then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XI) in the “Letter to the Bishops of the Catholic Church on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons” promulgated in 1986. Here are just a few of the clearly stated insights:
“The Church, obedient to the Lord who founded her and gave to her the sacramental life, celebrates the divine plan of the loving and life-giving union of men and women in the sacrament of marriage. It is only in the marital relationship that the use of the sexual faculty can be morally good. A person engaging in homosexual behavior therefore acts immorally.”
“To choose someone of the same sex for one's sexual activity is to annul the rich symbolism and meaning, not to mention the goals, of the Creator's sexual design. Homosexual activity is not a complementary union, able to transmit life; and so it thwarts the call to a life of that form of self-giving which the Gospel says is the essence of Christian living. This does not mean that homosexual persons are not often generous and giving of themselves; but when they engage in homosexual activity they confirm within themselves a disordered sexual inclination which is essentially self-indulgent”.
“As in every moral disorder, homosexual activity prevents one's own fulfillment and happiness by acting contrary to the creative wisdom of God. The Church, in rejecting erroneous opinions regarding homosexuality, does not limit but rather defends personal freedom and dignity realistically and authentically understood.”
What is clear is that faithful Catholics cannot accept the undermining of authentic marriage. Homosexual sexual acts, even if engaged in with one ...
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?