Federal Government (EEOC) goes after Belmont Abbey College for Being Catholic
Employment Opportunity Commission accusing them of discriminating based upon gender. Reuben Daniels Jr., of the EEOC Charlotte District Office Director wrote that the Commission had determined that Belmont Abbey College discriminated against women: “By denying prescription contraception drugs, Respondent (the college) is discriminating based on gender because only females take oral prescription contraceptives… By denying coverage, men are not affected, only women.”
The EEOC also alleged that the College “retaliated” against eight faculty members who filed charges with the EEOC by identifying them by name in a letter to faculty and staff. Daniels wrote: “It is the Commission’s position that the identity of an individual who has filed a charge should be protected with confidentiality during the Commission’s investigation…By disclosing Charging Party’s name, a chilling effect was created on Respondent’s campus whereby other faculty and staff members would be reluctant to file a charge of employment discrimination for fear of disclosure.”
In a statement the College responded: “We are disappointed that this matter has taken this very unusual twist, but we remain committed to ensuring that all of the College’s policies and practices follow the teachings of the Catholic Church, which includes valuing all life and treating individuals with dignity and respect, and providing equal opportunities for all… The College is confident that its actions ultimately will be found to be in compliance with all federal and state laws and with the U.S. Constitution…Accordingly, the College will be asking the EEOC to reconsider each of the current determinations it has made in connection with the charges filed against the College.”
As I conclude you may ask “What is the connection between what is happening to this Catholic College and the current National Health Care debate?” The legislation being offered by the US Congress to allegedly reform health care in the US will produce the same result on a National Level as the Federal Bureaucracy micromanages the program. In effect, the Federal Government is pursuing this action against Belmont Abbey College for being Catholic. If a private health care insurance plan offered by a Catholic College cannot exclude the taking of innocent life through abortion or refuse to pay for chemicals to kill an embryonic person, or refuse to pay for contraception without being charged with “discrimination” against women by the EEOC, imagine the results on a National level.
Planned Parenthood, the Abortion lobby and the proponents of death on demand certainly know how to use the police power of the State to enforce their new regime. As a constitutional lawyer of many years, I can see their legal strategy even now. We call on all of our readers throughout the world to pray for Belmont Abbey College and stand with them in their struggle against the EEOC and the Culture of death. The implications reach far beyond Belmont, North Carolina.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?