Democrats for Life: Congressman Ryan Losing His Way?
After his last vote in favor of taxpayer funded abortions, his credibility as a pro-life legislator has crumbled.
Kristen Day, Executive Director of Democrats for Life of America, is the author of "Democrats for Life: Pro-Life Politics and the Silenced Majority."
At the same time this poll was being conducted, Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan, an alleged pro-life Democrat, voted to support a bill to allow public funding of abortion. This is either unlucky timing for Congressman Ryan or a clear illustration of a politician abandoning the base that helped elect him to his current office.
Itís no secret that Congressman Ryan is very politically ambitious and has his eyes set on a statewide office in the near future. So maybe heís proactively abandoning his pro-life roots in hopes of sliding his hands into the deep pockets of the national pro-choice donor base. Maybe he made a mistake and didnít realize he was voting for taxpayer funded abortions.
Either way, he has made a serious political misstep.
There was a time when pro-life Democrats were proud of Congressman Ryan. He was even elected to the National Advisory Board for Democrats For Life of America (DFLA). But in the last year or so Congressman Ryanís voting record has become more and more pro-abortion. After his last vote in favor of taxpayer funded abortions, his credibility as a pro-life legislator has crumbled with the national pro-life community.
These developments forced DFLA to quietly remove Congressman Ryan from the National Advisory Board last year. DFLA gave Congressman Ryan ample opportunities to prove heís committed to protecting life but he has turned his back on the community at every turn.
And while DFLA embraces the notion that there is room in the Party for differing views, Members of Congress should not be tricked into believing that pro-life Democrats allow themselves to be taken for granted. For now, pro-life Democrats have lost a promising, rising star to the pro-choice movement.
But the fluctuating tides of Washington may cause Congressman Ryan to reverse his stand once again. Many will be watching Congressman Ryan and which side of the abortion debate he plans to finally land on. DFLA would gladly welcome him back, but he has to have his eyes, and not his back, focused on the comfort of home before he can be taken seriously.
Kristen Day is the Executive Director of Democrats for Life, Inc., a national organization for pro-life members of the Democratic party.Democrats for Life of America exists to foster respect for life, from the beginning of life to natural death.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?