Democrats for Life: Congressman Ryan Losing His Way?
After his last vote in favor of taxpayer funded abortions, his credibility as a pro-life legislator has crumbled.
Kristen Day, Executive Director of Democrats for Life of America, is the author of 'Democrats for Life: Pro-Life Politics and the Silenced Majority.'
At the same time this poll was being conducted, Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan, an alleged pro-life Democrat, voted to support a bill to allow public funding of abortion. This is either unlucky timing for Congressman Ryan or a clear illustration of a politician abandoning the base that helped elect him to his current office.
Itís no secret that Congressman Ryan is very politically ambitious and has his eyes set on a statewide office in the near future. So maybe heís proactively abandoning his pro-life roots in hopes of sliding his hands into the deep pockets of the national pro-choice donor base. Maybe he made a mistake and didnít realize he was voting for taxpayer funded abortions.
Either way, he has made a serious political misstep.
There was a time when pro-life Democrats were proud of Congressman Ryan. He was even elected to the National Advisory Board for Democrats For Life of America (DFLA). But in the last year or so Congressman Ryanís voting record has become more and more pro-abortion. After his last vote in favor of taxpayer funded abortions, his credibility as a pro-life legislator has crumbled with the national pro-life community.
These developments forced DFLA to quietly remove Congressman Ryan from the National Advisory Board last year. DFLA gave Congressman Ryan ample opportunities to prove heís committed to protecting life but he has turned his back on the community at every turn.
And while DFLA embraces the notion that there is room in the Party for differing views, Members of Congress should not be tricked into believing that pro-life Democrats allow themselves to be taken for granted. For now, pro-life Democrats have lost a promising, rising star to the pro-choice movement.
But the fluctuating tides of Washington may cause Congressman Ryan to reverse his stand once again. Many will be watching Congressman Ryan and which side of the abortion debate he plans to finally land on. DFLA would gladly welcome him back, but he has to have his eyes, and not his back, focused on the comfort of home before he can be taken seriously.
Kristen Day is the Executive Director of Democrats for Life, Inc., a national organization for pro-life members of the Democratic party.Democrats for Life of America exists to foster respect for life, from the beginning of life to natural death.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?