SPECIAL: Interview with AUL Action's Charmaine Yoest on 'Open Letter to Barack Obama'
Catholic Online's special interview with Charmaine Yoest, PhD,President & CEO of AUL Action on their "Open letter to Barack Obama."
QUESTION: Charmaine, it is great to speak with you again. I have long admired your tireless work on behalf of what I like to call our "first neighbors", children in the first home of the whole human race, their mothers womb. Congratulations on your new position. Please explain AUL Action, its goals and your role for the global readers of Catholic Online
ANSWER:Americans United for Life Action (AULAction) is the legislative arm of Americans United for Life. We are a public interest, non profit law firm and policy organization devoted to defending life in law. We've been involved in every life-related case that has come before the Supreme Court since Roe and our ultimate objective is to see that decision reversed. I joined the organization as President and CEO in August because I believe we are at a historic moment in the life movement with both remarkable opportunities and pressing challenges in front of us. We are seeing a generation of young people who self-identify as pro-life at higher rates than their parents, yet at the same time Planned Parenthood's annual budget (largely subsidized by our tax dollars) just passed the $1 billion mark this year. And we have a Supreme Court where six of the justices are over 69 years old. So in just a few short years, we will see the composition of the Court dramatically change.
As the legal arm of the pro-life movement, I believe AUL is uniquely situated to make a difference in this environment. Our objective is to produce Constitutionally sound model legislation that pro-life legislators across the country can feel confident promoting. . . and none of our legislation has been struck at the state level. It has been a real honor for me to join this great team that has that kind of track record, and such a deep commitment to building a Culture of Life where everyone is welcomed in life and defended in law.
QUESTION: Charmaine, AUL Action has just released and published a very well done "Open Letter" to the Democratic Presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama. Please tell our readers what the letter is hoping to accomplish, where it was published and how they can participate in educating all voters to this critical issue.
ANSWER:We've faced a real challenge during this presidential election. AUL has always been committed to being nonpartisan and we work very closely with pro-life legislators in both political parties. We have a close working relationship with Democrats for Life and ultimately want to see both parties working to defend life. But the reality we are confronted with is that Senator Barack Obama has a radical record on the life issue. There is, of course, his refusal to vote in support of protection for babies born alive during an abortion which has been so well-documented by Gianna Jessen and at bornalivetruth.org.
Less well-known is his commitment to supporting the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA)-- a really radical piece of abortion legislation that would wipe out every piece of pro-life abortion-limiting legislation that Americans have passed over the last thirty years -- including common sense legislation that has very high levels of public suport like bans on partial-birth abortion and laws requiring parental involvement.
Last summer, Senator Obama spoke at a Planned Parenthood event and promised them that FOCA would be the FIRST piece of legislation he would sign as President. Pro-life voters need to know this before they make a decision about their vote on Tuesday. So we established a one-stop website that has all the FOCA information, including the video of Obama's promise to Planned Parenthood and a Consititutional analysis of the bill from our Vice President of Legal Affairs.
That website is at www.FightFOCA.com. We also have a petition against FOCA there that we would love to have your readers sign and also tell their friends about.
The Open Letter to Barack Obama that we released this week (which is posted at the FightFOCA.com site) is intended to underscore the importance of parental involvement laws for abortion. The letter tells the story of a 14-year-old girl who was impregnated by her 22-year-old soccer coach. He took her to Planned Parenthood. They turned a blind eye when he claimed to be a family member, and gave her an abortion, a Depo-Provera shot and a bag of condoms. Her parents eventually found out and the soccer coach was convicted of ...
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?