Bishop Condemns Catholic Governor's Support of Prop. 2 in Michigan
Catholic Governor Jennifer Granholm urged support of promoting deadly embryonic stem cell research. Bishop condemns statement.
"As a Catholic, I can say to be pro-cure is to be pro-life," she said.The governor issued the remark at a Grand Rapids Obama rally, part of a tour across the western half of the state.
Bishop Earl Boyea of Lansing immediately criticized Granholm's statement for radically misrepresenting her Catholic faith. "Of course, Catholics and all other responsible citizens will continue to seek cures for disease and injury," said the bishop. "But to imply that Proposal 2 is a valid expression of Catholic principles is shocking. Nothing could be further from the truth."
Bishop Boyea emphasized the Church's unequivocal condemnation of the disregard for human life shown by those who consider human embryos expendable, noting that "the Catholic Bishops of Michigan have taken a strong position in opposition to this well-funded assault on human life.
"Saint Paul reminds us that we must preach the Truth in season and out of season. The Truth will never go unspoken. To be in favor of Proposal 2 is not to be pro-life. A well-formed Catholic conscience would never lead a person to support Proposal 2 'as a Catholic.'"
According to a Michigan Live article, supporters of ESC research have taken to the "pro-life" label, claiming that the destruction of embryos is justified for its potential to save other lives that may benefit from the research.
Catholic and pro-life organizations in Michigan have headed the effort to stop the ballot initiative, including the Michigan Catholic Conference, Right to Life Michigan, Democrats for Life of Michigan and the Family Research Council.
Michigan Live reports that polls show Proposal 2 in the lead among voters.
LifeSiteNews.com is a non-profit Internet service dedicated to issues of culture, life, and family. It was launched in September 1997. LifeSiteNews Daily News reports and information pages are used by numerous organizations and publications, educators, professionals and political, religious and life and family organization leaders and grassroots people across North America and internationally.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?