America is more politically polarized than ever before, Pew Research Poll says
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
6/12/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Americans are a very determined lot, according to a new Pew research Poll. That can be a good thing - or a very bad thing. While many hold their personal political beliefs very strongly, they see little or no wiggle room for those who share different views. This has resulted in a nation that is more polarized as ever. According to the poll, this may very well lead to a nation divided.
More Americans are less likely to favor political compromise, the survey by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press said.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Pew Research Center conducted a year-long study on polarization. Polling more than 10,000 adults between January and March of this year, researchers found that Republicans and Democrats are "further apart ideologically than at any point in recent history."
Starvation never takes a vacation --
The seven most salient points of the survey were these:
1. "The share of Americans who express consistently conservative or consistently liberal opinions has doubled over the past two decades, from 10 percent to 21 percent," i.e., less political overlap between the two parties.
2. "Partisan antipathy has risen." In other words, Republicans with unfavorable opinions of Democrats has jumped from 17 to 43 percent, while Democrats with highly negative opinions of Republicans has more than doubled from 16 to 38 percent.
3. "'Ideological silos' are now common on the right, and to a lesser extent, the left."
The most discouraging sign that there is now no political fraternization. Birds of a feather, flock together, preventing the healthy "marketplace of ideas" our friend John Stuart Mill pushed for.
4. "Differences between the right and left go beyond politics." This means that personal choices as well as political one exist between Democrats and Republicans. For example, conservatives want to live in large, far apart houses, while most liberals prefer smaller houses that are close to schools, stores, and restaurants.
5. "The center has gotten smaller." Thirty-nine percent of Americans take a roughly equal number of liberal and conservative positions on issues like gun control, immigration reform, and health care policy.
6. "The most ideologically-oriented Americans make their voices heard through greater participation in every stage of the political process."
The squeaky wheel gets the grease: political donation rates are about double the national average among ideologically liberals at 31 percent and conservatives at 26 percent.
7. "To those on the ideological right and left, compromise now means that their side gets more of what it wants."
About 62 percent of liberals say the best deal between President Barack Obama and the GOP would be closer to what Obama wants, while 57 percent of consistent conservatives say a deal should be closer to the GOP's terms.
Bottom line: More Americans are less likely to favor political compromise, the survey by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press said.
"Liberals and conservatives disagree over where they want to live, the kind of people they want to live around and even whom they would welcome into their families," the poll said.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for APRIL 2017
Young People. That young people may respond generously to their vocations and seriously consider offering themselves to God in the priesthood or consecrated life.
It feels great to win! Here's the list of things President Trump has accomplished in his first 100 days Watch
Donald Trump has reached the 100-day mark with an incredible list of accomplishments. Here's what he's done since he took office. While the ... continue reading
In a shocking announcement, the Trump administration has suggested it will continue to uphold an onerous Obama era requirement that ... continue reading
U.S. President Donald Trump has imposed tariffs up to 24 percent on Canadian lumber shipped into the United States. LOS ANGELES, CA ... continue reading
Hypocrite millennial terrorists who live with their parents want guns because conservative working Americans don't want to give them free stuff Watch
Following the election of Barack Obama, a move that displeased conservatives, how long did it take for conservatives to arm themselves and ... continue reading
Senator Connie M. Leyva (D-Chino) introduced a bill to expand medical abortions to University of California (UC) and California State ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 HD Video
- St. Catherine of Siena: Saint of the Day for Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Report claims extreme weather on DECLINE - but is someone lying?
- It feels great to win! Here's the list of things President Trump has ...
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt with powerful message HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, April 29, 2017
- 'Acid is now a fashionable weapon of choice' - Britain averages one ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 1st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, April 30th, 2017 HD
- Day 9 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 8 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.