United Nations Demands the Catholic Church Drop to Her Knees
Call this a prediction that I bet will come true: The Holy See and the Catholic Church will, in the near future, be called before the International Court of Justice to answer for its history of crimes against children. The United Nations will be the prime mover in this, but liberal elites in the United States will be doing all they can to bring the Church to Her knees.
WASHINGTON,DC (Catholic Online) - On Wednesday, February 6, 2014, the United Nations dropped a media bomb on the Catholic Church. One might call it the media equivalent of a nuclear attack: Headlines filled the Internet starting with phrases like:
"UN panel blasts Vatican handling of clergy sex abuse, church teachings on gays, abortion." (Washington Post)
"Kick out those who sexually abuse children, U.N. panel tells Vatican."
"UN Blasts Vatican on Sex Abuse." (Boston Globe)
"Vatican policies allowed priests to rape, molest children, UN committee says." (Detroit Free Press)
"Vatican systematically allowed priests to rape children, says UN report."
The number of hits after googling the words, UN report-Vatican-sex abuse, goes on for dozens of pages, with not a single headline suggesting the UN's report was inaccurate, nefarious, and, breathtakingly arrogant.
Here are some facts about the 15-page report issued Wednesday by the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child (with thanks again to Bill Donohue for sorting out this nonsense, but dangerous nonsense nonetheless):
1. The report makes a series of accusations against the Holy See without supporting evidence of any footnotes, endnotes, or attributions of any kind. In other words, sheer assertion without either argument or evidence. For those who read history, the term "Stalinism" comes to mind.
2. The United Nations demands that the Holy See submit itself to UN authority in matters pertaining not only to children's rights but also to homosexuality and abortion. As Donohue puts it, the report "does provide plenty of evidence as to its real agenda."
3. The United Nations demands the Catholic Church make changes to Canon Law to bring it into conformity with policies and ideology of guess who? - the United Nations. Just when you think you've seen the worst of this topsy-turvy world, such as the President of the United States dismissing the dangers of smoking marijuana, you see this. You shake your head, you clear your throat, and you want to throw up, or laugh, either one or the other.
4. The report, again I am using Donohue's analysis, says the Holy See should "undertake the necessary steps to withdraw all its reservations and to en-sure the [U.N.] Convention's precedence over internal laws and regulations." (the report's emphasis.)
5. Just in case the implications of #4 weren't clear enough, read this: "The Committee recommends that the Holy See undertake a comprehensive review of its normative framework, in particular Canon Law, with a view to ensuring its full compliance with the Convention." The Catholic Church must bend Her knee to the authority of the United Nations.
As Bill Donohue puts it, "Hubris is too mild a word to describe this unmitigated arrogance." To any fair-minded, informed, sensible person, this report should make a laughing stock of the United Nations. The report itself should raise questions about the integrity of the UN and its ideological will-to-power. But, alas, the media is all too willing to comply.
6. The report demands that Catholic schools alter their textbooks to eliminate "gender stereotypes." Although, as Donohue points out, there is no evidence put forward that such stereotypes even exist.
7. Don't laugh: The report demands the Vatican initiate "awareness programs" for those who work with children. As Donohue points out, there is no mention of any other religious community or the public schools, where the problem goes largely unreported.
8. Again, don't laugh: The report tells the Vatican to amend Canon Law and Vatican City State laws to "end corporal punishment." Bill Donohue, indeed, does have a sense of humor when he says the UN is "too busy wondering if Sister Mary Alice is taking a ruler to a miscreant student to mention the 10,000 Syrian children who have been killed and tortured the last three years."
9. This fact is very telling: The report tells the Catholic Church to eliminate "baby boxes," those boxes next to orphanages where women who cannot care for their newborns make sure that they will be raised and nurtured. What's the alternative to a "baby box?" None, other than abortion, which is what the United Nations aggressively promotes worldwide with U.S tax dollars.
10. Final fact: Call this a prediction that I bet will come true: The Holy See and the Catholic Church will, in the near future, be called before the International Court of Justice to answer for its history of crimes against children. The United Nations will be the prime mover in this, but liberal elites in the United States will be doing all they can to bring the Church to Her knees.
© Deal W. Hudson, Ph.D
Deal W. Hudson is president of the Morley Institute of Church and Culture, Senior Editor and Movie Critic at Catholic Online, and former publisher and editor of Crisis Magazine.This column and subsequent contributions are an excerpt from a forthcoming book. Dr. Hudson's new radio show, Church and Culture, will begin broadcasting in February on the Ave Maria Radio Network.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for FEBRUARY 2017
Comfort for the Afflicted. That all those who are afflicted, especially the poor, refugees, and marginalized, may find welcome and comfort in our communities.
Vickie Williams-Tillman was on her way to the grocery store when she witnessed an officer arguing with a man standing outside his vehicle ... continue reading
Over 150 gravestones were vandalized at the Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in University City, MO. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
People with severe mental illness are much more likely to be incarcerated than treated for their disorders, advocates said at a recent ... continue reading
'I would like to relinquish my U.S. citizenship' - Priest makes amazing offer of love for banned refugee Watch
In a letter dated January 27, 2017, the White House received a letter from St. Joseph's Salesian Youth Renewal Center's Fr. Chuong Hoai ... continue reading
'I Am A Muslim Too': Angry protesters gather to declare allegiance to Islam and hate toward President Trump Watch
More than 1,000 people of mixed races and faiths gathered in New York's Times Square to declare they were Muslim, too. LOS ANGELES, CA ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Wave of anti-Semitic threats end in vandalization horror - But ...
- Scientists predict Biblical flood for California HD Video
- 'This is him telling me he is scared' - Heartbreaking image of ...
- St. Polycarp: Saint of the Day for Thursday, February 23, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, February 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Heroic woman saves officer's life during roadside attack
- Daily Readings for Thursday, February 23, 2017
- New pilgrimage route recreates Jesus' footsteps HD
- Sts. Perpetua and Felicity HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 HD
- California's floods predicted by scientists, but how? HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.