Archbishop appeals his defrocking for sexual abuse allegedly committed in Dominican Republic
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
8/26/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, from Poland, is accused of child sex abuse while he served in the Dominican Republic. He has since appealed against a Roman Catholic tribunal's decision to defrock him, according to the Vatican.
If found guilty in a criminal trial, Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski could risk extradition to the Dominican Republic, which has appointed a special prosecutor to investigate the case.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Serving as a Vatican nuncio or ambassador to the Caribbean nation, Wesolowski was sentenced in late June to be expelled from the priesthood, which is an extremely rare step against such a senior church official.
"Former nuncio Josef Wesolowski has recently appealed, within the prescribed limit of two months, against the most serious canonical sentence, that of a return to the lay state, which has been imposed upon him," Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said in a statement.
Wesolowski's appeal will be judged "without delay" over the coming weeks, most likely this October, Lombardi said. Wesolowski, who was recalled last August to the Vatican, had lost diplomatic immunity when he stopped functioning as a diplomat of the Holy See.
Under pressure for over a decade to prevent child sex abuse by priests, criminal proceedings by judicial authorities at the Vatican would continue as soon as the church law sentence becomes definitive, Lombardi said.
If found guilty in a criminal trial, Wesolowski could risk extradition to the Dominican Republic, which has appointed a special prosecutor to investigate the case.
The United Nations watchdog against torture had urged the Vatican last May to investigate the case and ensure he is criminally prosecuted or extradited to face charges in the Dominican Republic if warranted.
Lombardi said Pope Francis had been "duly and carefully informed" of the case and wished to address it "justly and rigorously."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
During the terrorist attacks in Barcelona on August 17, hundreds of people fled the area and sought refuge where they could find it. Stores ... continue reading
Pope Francis has asked the world to pray for peace and healing in the wake of terror attacks in Spain which left 14 dead and up to 130 ... continue reading
A terror attack in Barcelona has killed at least 13 people and left dozens dead. LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) - A terrorist has ... continue reading
The Vatican has turned off its fountains, all one hundred of them, to show solidarity with Rome and aid in water conservation. Italy is ... continue reading
A deadly earthquake has struck in the Aegean between Greece and Turkey, shaking people awake in the early morning hours of Friday. Two ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- In Barcelona, a church responded to a terrorist attack by opening its ...
- Archbishop reveals a surprise about Medjugorje HD Video
- Archbishop reveals a surprise about Medjugorje
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- St. Philip Benizi: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- As terrorists attacked, one church opened its doors. Here's what ...
- New research shows global warming is not your fault. Here's why
- Trump announces new Afghan strategy - do we get to win this time? HD
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD